Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Portrait Potential?
Posted By: SCguy, 09-06-2009, 05:57 PM

I'm trying to figure out if I have the potential to take a decently good portrait. I'm not really people-crazy, my idea of a good time is a photo walk taking landscapes alone, but landscapes don't pay (at least for me).

Here are a few I shot today, first time using my new CTR-301P's. Very impressed compared to the PT-04 triggers I had. No misfires at 30-35 feet, behind an umbrella, and almost dead batteries in my flash (AF200T).

Most shot with K10D, Pentax-M 100mm f/2.8 at f/4, or Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7 at f/4.

The ball was the only way to get him to hold still, even then, I only had about 20-30 minutes.

50mm

50mm

50mm

100mm w/ his mom

Comments and criticism welcome,

RD
Views: 2,841
09-06-2009, 09:15 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
People photos, esp. baby shots, are so personal that it's hard to critique.
What I've noticed in these is that the flash offered little to fill or create a clear lighting effect, other than perhaps #1 where he was turning towards the light source.
#3 appears a little too tightly cropped and he's not giving you much of a flattering expression.
#2 on the other hand is candid and natural.
Last one is fine, and for a different look I would have tried a diagonal composition.

Again these are all subjective opinions.