Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Strange effect
Posted By: juanraortiz, 09-07-2009, 05:42 AM

Hi to all. This weekend was dedicated to the jewish culture along some towns in Europe. I took this one in a spanish town called Segovia. Itīs an old synagogue changed into a church centuries ago. When i took the pic, the light i could see was white, like the wall in the back. But when i saw it in the screen was green in both sides and some kind of brown up. I thought something was wrong with my Pentax, but the postcards for the tourist had the same effect. Any idea?

Last edited by juanraortiz; 10-04-2009 at 09:46 AM.
Views: 1,556
09-07-2009, 05:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not sure on why the effect - maybe try playing with the temperature , exposure and white balance. It's a fine shot.
09-07-2009, 05:57 AM   #3

Just guessing, but those lights hanging down look green to me (old fluorescent lights only use one colour of phospher in the coating and cast a green tinge). And the brown at the top looks to me like it's stone, not actually light on its own? Or are they slightly dirty net curtains/blinds?

Last edited by Nass; 09-07-2009 at 06:38 AM.
09-07-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Not sure on why the effect - maybe try playing with the temperature , exposure and white balance. It's a fine shot.
Thank you . I tought that but when i saw the postcards with the same effect i guess soemthing more.
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Just guessing, but those lights hanging down look green to me (old fluorescent lights only use one colour of phospher in the coating and cast a green tinge). And the brown at the top looks to me like it's stone, not actually light on its own? Or are they slightly dirty net curtains/blinds?
Yes, you are right. I didnīt realise about the green fluorescent. Our eyes make a different balance and we see them as white. The brown can be a contrast of temperature: the green of fluorescent and the sunlight come in from the windows. Thank you for your help!

09-07-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check your WB settings too, which when adjusted in RAW will give you the colour cast that pleases you most. If you're on AWB, that would explain the unnoticed colour cast.
09-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting - the color variation adds to the interest. Very well done.

Jer
09-07-2009, 08:34 PM   #7
JMR
Veteran Member

What you have is situation called 'mixed lighting.' Very common in street and night scenes. Every light source gives off a colour and this time the lights give off a green cast. It is not worth trying to fix. In the film days, people attached a filter to counteract the green cast of florescent light or a blue tungsten filter for home lighting. Nowadays we do all that in PP. The problem then as now, is, if you attach the magenta filter, it will counteract the green but give off its magenta cast to the white areas. Your lighting is considered acceptable as it reflects the true light sources.

JMR
09-08-2009, 10:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Check your WB settings too, which when adjusted in RAW will give you the colour cast that pleases you most. If you're on AWB, that would explain the unnoticed colour cast.
Thanks, Ash. The effect wasnīt a problem. I like it, but i didnīt know why it was there.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Interesting - the color variation adds to the interest. Very well done.

Jer
thank you very much. I agree with you.
QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
What you have is situation called 'mixed lighting.' Very common in street and night scenes. Every light source gives off a colour and this time the lights give off a green cast. It is not worth trying to fix. In the film days, people attached a filter to counteract the green cast of florescent light or a blue tungsten filter for home lighting. Nowadays we do all that in PP. The problem then as now, is, if you attach the magenta filter, it will counteract the green but give off its magenta cast to the white areas. Your lighting is considered acceptable as it reflects the true light sources.

JMR
Thank you for your explanation. I wasnīt worried, i only wanted to know why.