Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Elliot Creek
Posted By: scole, 09-07-2009, 11:07 AM

The party's over in the Pacific Northwest and we've returned to our usual weather- sunny weekdays and rainy weekends. My Plan A was thwarted so I settled on a Plan B- a rainy day hike along Elliot Creek.

And a rainy day it was. Despite being in the forest, both my gear and myself were completely drenched. I finally turned around when both my lens cloths were soaked and my camera decided to no longer read the aperature setting from my lens. Thankfully, Pentax gear is built to handle these kind of conditions..

1. (DA12-24)

2. (DA12-24)

3. (DA55-300)

4. (DA55-300)

5. (DA55-300)

6. (DA18-55)

Thanks for looking..
Views: 2,681
09-07-2009, 12:06 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I love the shots, especially nos. two and six. I try to frame water shots like you with broken timber which adds a different color to the shot. You were able to get fungus growing on the broken wood which is really neat. I went shooting last weekend to some springs here in Missouri that had the green and water like these. Again I really like!
09-07-2009, 12:28 PM   #3

Really like # 3. Nice contrast of colors.
09-07-2009, 12:45 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
#4 and 6 are my pix.
Love the silky smooth water and bold colours.
You thought about composition and it's paid off with some good perspectives here.
Well done.

09-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments. Tough day for photography, for sure. My camera gear is dry now but my backpack still feels a bit damp. I was also glad I continued far enough to find the stump & fungus in #6. There were a few more shots in that area I had in my head but I reached my water saturation point so maybe some other time!
09-08-2009, 02:26 AM   #6

Great shots. They definately show the Pacific Northwest. It sure wouldnt be the Pacific Northwest without being rained out now would it? I really like all of these. They all compliment each other very well and make a nice set. Did you use a ND filter for any of these or was the lighting low enough to achieve those shutter speeds without? Makes me want to throw on a rain coat and head back up there for a hike/photo shoot!
09-08-2009, 05:34 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Nice shots, Steve! I have fond (?!) memories of hiking thru those woods and camping in the rain with our Scout troop (in all the years I was in, I can recall *one* campout without rain...). The lush colors and rushing water make for a beautiful combination.

Whereabouts is Elliot Creek? It sounds vaguely familiar from my misspent youth in Lynnwood...

Jim

09-08-2009, 06:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

My favourites are 2, 4 and 6; I think they are excellent
I also agree with Ash. Good work on being committed enough to get great thoughtful shots in difficult wet conditions.
09-08-2009, 07:07 AM   #9
JMR
Veteran Member

Nice images. Good compositions. My one observation is about the look of the water. It seems to me the images with the silky soft look or the in-between look of running water and slight softness look and work best on these type of images. I also have many where the water is completely washed out (white) and I do not like them. We don't always have control over these things but it is something to consider.

JMR
09-08-2009, 10:55 PM   #10

Original Poster
Appreciate the additional comments, everyone..

QuoteOriginally posted by MoparFreak69 Quote
Did you use a ND filter for any of these or was the lighting low enough to achieve those shutter speeds without?
No- I didn't use any ND filters. Too rainy and messy to work with my ND Grads. Besides- my Circ Polarizer (which I did use on all of the shots) allowed me to get the longer exposures for these shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Nice shots, Steve! I have fond (?!) memories of hiking thru those woods and camping in the rain with our Scout troop (in all the years I was in, I can recall *one* campout without rain...). The lush colors and rushing water make for a beautiful combination. Whereabouts is Elliot Creek? It sounds vaguely familiar from my misspent youth in Lynnwood...

Jim
You might know Elliot Creek better as the Goat Lake Trail, which is located off of the Mountain Loop Highway between Barlow Pass and the town of Darrington.

QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
Nice images. Good compositions. My one observation is about the look of the water. It seems to me the images with the silky soft look or the in-between look of running water and slight softness look and work best on these type of images. I also have many where the water is completely washed out (white) and I do not like them. We don't always have control over these things but it is something to consider.

JMR
Very true, JMR. Funny you mention it because on this outing, I was trying to get away with shorter exposures and experimented more than usual with ISO/Aperature/Shutter speed combinations. It would have been possible without my Circ Polarizer but then you get the reflections off of the water's surface.
09-09-2009, 07:46 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by scole Quote
Appreciate the additional comments, everyone..

You might know Elliot Creek better as the Goat Lake Trail, which is located off of the Mountain Loop Highway between Barlow Pass and the town of Darrington.
Ah yes, I do know that one (never hiked that trail but I recall seeing the name on trailhead signs). Nice bit of countryside and you have captured it so well...

Jim
09-09-2009, 08:23 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Beautiful! The second and the last shots really stand out to me.
09-10-2009, 08:29 AM   #13

Excellent job. You've inspired me to get out on the coming ugly days here on the Oregon coast.