Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Cleveland Metroparks Zoo - Labor Day
Posted By: madmikess, 09-07-2009, 07:23 PM

Made a day of it and drove the family down to Cleveland Ohio to see the zoo. It's just over 3 hours from Buffalo. The zoo turned out to be a little bigger than we figured it would be and ended up spending about 5 hours there. The kids had a great time so that's all that mattered. Of course I took the opportunity to snap photos.

Exif should be included for all the images.

First three here were taken with my Tamron 70-300mm lens.

Flamingos:

Cockatoo:

Cheetah, too bad the fence was in the way:

These 2 were taken with my Sigma 24-135mm lens.

Bald Eagle:

African Crested Cranes:

I have to post this also, right after we arrived at the zoo we went straight to one of the animal shows. My oldest was chosen to participate in the show with some other kids from the crowd. They had to all help hold a large Burmese Python. She loved it.

Views: 1,773
09-07-2009, 08:28 PM   #2

Love the Cheetah pic.
Altho what is your opinion on the fence in the foreground ?

I am trying to master the art of bypassing the fence.

With my s3is i can seem to zoom right past it and have it not
display in the pics.

But for some reason I can't seem to do it with my Pentax
and i end up with pics like your cheetah one.

Im guessing it has something to do with senson size and dof.

Anyway nice collection.
09-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Not sure. In this case, the cheetah was not more than about 4 feet from me with the fence right in the middle. I think that the fence appears to prominently due to the fact that it's still close to the DOF. This shot I took of a Vulture at the Buffalo Zoo, you can see the diamond shape of the fence in the image, but the fence itself doesn't really show. The vulture was a bit further away while the fence was right in front of me about the same distance away as with the cheetah photo:

09-08-2009, 05:55 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i like the cheetah shot... reality does sometimes put obstacles in the way, but feel this is natural, and adds realism... the vulture is great.....

09-08-2009, 10:20 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots. We were there last May and my kids really enjoyed their visit. The cheetah is my favorite.
09-08-2009, 10:54 AM   #6

Excellent shots! That zoo is within walking distance from my house (whenever I'm home from school). I gotta head there sometime and snap some shots myself.
09-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
i like the cheetah shot... reality does sometimes put obstacles in the way, but feel this is natural, and adds realism... the vulture is great.....
Appreciate the kind words. The Cheetah just laid there for the crowd, he/she was very accomodating.

QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
Nice shots. Have not been to that zoo in years.

For no fence in photo. You have to get the lens as close to the fence as possible. Usually just a few inches. And as shallow a dof as possible helps. I'm known for leaning way over the barrier to get that close.
Will keep that in mind. I was pretty close to the fence with this one, the cheetah was pretty much right up against the fence himself and the railing in front of the fence was about 2 feet from the fence. He wasn't more than 3 or 4 feet away.

QuoteOriginally posted by Edicon Quote
Nice shots. We were there last May and my kids really enjoyed their visit. The cheetah is my favorite.
Thank you, my kids had a great time as well, this zoo was a lot larger than we realized and it was really worth the drive.

QuoteOriginally posted by PeteyJ Quote
Excellent shots! That zoo is within walking distance from my house (whenever I'm home from school). I gotta head there sometime and snap some shots myself.
Thank you for the kind words. I'd say it's worth the visit, there were a lot of good opportunities for photo taking. Some parts were better than others. I found the places where the animals were behind glass less of an opportunity, the glass was very scuffed and/or dirty and warped which distorted the view. I suppose the warped glass could work for some interesting artistic approach.
09-09-2009, 03:37 AM   #8
Millionth Poster!

beautiful shots. like the first two and the eagle. Fences are a pain, but like wildlifephotog said get as close as possible. Now the truth did your daughter really like holding that snake, seems a bit unsure?

09-09-2009, 04:31 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Scottnorwo Quote
beautiful shots. like the first two and the eagle. Fences are a pain, but like wildlifephotog said get as close as possible. Now the truth did your daughter really like holding that snake, seems a bit unsure?
I think she was unsure at first when she was standing up on the stage and they brought it out, but she didn't hesitate to get in and put her hands under it. And she insists that she liked holding the snake.
09-09-2009, 05:15 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like a great trip and very cool with the python. Fences can be a PIA but the cheata shot is not bad at all. The bird sereis is awesome.
09-09-2009, 06:11 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The cheetah shot - to me - is terrific (as are all these) notwithstanding the fence.

Great zoo shots.

Jer