Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Bees In Web and Wheel Bug-Eye to Eye
Posted By: acbees, 09-08-2009, 07:49 PM

Seem to deal with these predators around our hives every year about this time. All these were taken with the K20, 50mm Super Macro Takumar, extension, and snoot, handheld. They were cropped to some degree.

First two are of bees caught in the web of a garden spider. Notice the stinger sticking out in the first pic. There were about 10 of these wrapped and hanging in the web.

This wheel bug (a type of assassin bug) was on the front of one hive with the bee when I walked up. A bit later another bee buzzed by close enough and made it drop its meal. They inject something that paralyzes the victim, then suck the life out of them. I've been told they hurt something awful if they bite you. Got a video on Youtube of one of these last year catching a bee. Couldn't resist the eye to eye shot.

Arvin
Views: 6,545
09-08-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice macros Arvin. Since I have never seen a wheel bug in real live it was a special treat. Thanks for posting them.
09-08-2009, 09:19 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Absolutely spectacular captures Arvin.
These are like straight out of a magazine.
Just amazing stuff.
Thanks for sharing.
09-09-2009, 05:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Outstanding Arvin there is no doubt who is top of the food chain in these shots.

09-09-2009, 05:46 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

great captures.... i'd hate to end up like the 'incredible shrinking man'......
09-09-2009, 07:34 AM   #6
JMR
Veteran Member

Indeed, excellent work. I am sure you will be the first to admit that macro photography is harder work than other types of photography.

JMR
09-09-2009, 05:03 PM   #7

Original Poster
Heinrich, Ash, daacon, dcmsox2004, & JMR,
I sure thank you for all the favorable comments. If you'd like to see a wheel bug in action, here's a link to the one I videoed catching a bee last year. They're certainly not one of my favorite bugs, but they sure are interesting.
Arvin
YouTube - acbees's Channel
09-10-2009, 07:43 AM   #8
Bud
Veteran Member

Excellent images, Arvin!

I always enjoy finding wheel bugs... such fascinating, prehistoric-looking little creatures. I usually see a few this time of the year and almost always on plants and blooms that attract bees I really enjoyed your videos, too.

Well done!

Bud