Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Comments and Tips are welcome!
Posted By: Kai, 09-10-2009, 12:53 AM

Here are some of the best shots I have taken so far. I have used this K-7 for about a month, mostly just the weekends. I have been reading the manual to familiarized myself with the features but still need to get more practice. Some of these are not all that good yet. It's just difficult to get the shot right quickly.

1) For some reason, I feel that the 18-55 WR is less sharp than 55-300. What am I doing wrong here?
1st pic, 55-300; F/4, 1/160, iso-100, Spot metering, 55mm.
2nd pic, 55-300; F/5.6, 1/800, iso-100, Spot metering, 55mm.

Correction: 4th pic, 18-55WR; F/3.5, 1/40, Spot metering, 18mm.

2) Why I got some tinted orange pics from other softwares (Picasa 3 and Fast Stone Viewer) besides Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4. I really did not mean to do it that way. 3rd pic

3)I like how I can do a batch conversion from PEF to JPG in Fast Stone Viewer. How can I do the same in Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4?

4) Also, can you reduce the file size in Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4 like in Fast Stone Viewer?

Thank you for your help for the comments or/and directions.

Attached Images

Last edited by Kai; 09-10-2009 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Exif info and change pic with the right lens.
Views: 2,591
09-10-2009, 05:07 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
1) For some reason, I feel that the 18-55 WR is less sharp than 55-300. What am I doing wrong here?
1st pic, 18-55 WR
2nd pic, 55-300

There could be several reasons for one picture to appear sharper than another. Since your images don't contain any exif data, I'll have to quess regarding possible issues.

a) Aperature setting: One image was taken iwth the lens wide open and the other with the lens stopped down some.

b) Shutter speed: With longer lenses and focal lengths, you need a faster shutter speed to prevent camera motion and / or motion blur.

c) Resizing your image for posting to the web can make it look softer. I usually apply some sharpening (Unsharp Mask) after down sizing for the web.

Here is a camera simulator that helps explain the interaction between aperature setting, shutter speed and ISO.

The SimCam: Film and Digital Camera Simulator - Photonhead.com

2) Why I got some tinted orange pics from other softwares (Picasa 3 and Fast Stone Viewer) besides Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4. I really did not mean to do it that way. 3rd pic

I'm not sure exactly but I suspect it is caused by color working space you are using. If your camera or software is set to Adobe RGB, the colors can shift when posting to the web. I have my conversion softward from RAW and set to sRGB to prevent this color shift issue.

Hopefully, others will respond to your questions with other possible solutions.

Tim
09-10-2009, 06:27 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As above, and consider how you take the photo - have stable hands and let the shutter release at just the right moment.

#2 loses detail of the baby's face due to shadowing - not the best look.
#3 is fine as is.

Keep at it - you'll just get better with time.
09-10-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

TIP - shoot lots and lots, and when your fed up shoot MORE

09-10-2009, 10:24 PM   #5
Kai

Original Poster
Thank you guys, I will keep in mind all of the factors. That site is pretty useful. I have updated the pictures with exif and correction. Is 55-300 a better lens than 18-55wr?
09-11-2009, 12:09 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Kai Quote
Is 55-300 a better lens than 18-55wr?
I don't have any of them myself but I've read quite a few things about them.

If you listen to people on this forum, the 18-55 should be one of the best kit lenses there is. I refer to the DA 18-55 II, which, according to Pentax, should be optically equal to the new WR-version. If you read a review or comparison in a magazine or on the internet, the Pentax 18-55 never wins and is regarded as average. At least everytime I've read a non-Pentaxian written review.

My impression (of other peoples impressions) is that the 55-300 is a stellar lens and that if you can live with a little slower lens, this is one of the best zoom-lenses you can get....and for that price.

So my answer would be yes, the 55-300 is probably the better lens, but there probably are people here who has actually used one or both of them that you should listen more to

I like the 3:rd picture a lot....nice angle. Other people have commented on the second picture and the shadows ruining it. I have made a lot of pictures of my sons that look similar to this and I think it's hard to judge the photo in a good way if you have a relation to the kid. You know, since you like the kid so much (or if its a friends kid, you just have to like it, but still) you see the cute kid more than you see the bad light destroying the photo. Doesn't really matter. the photo can still have a value to you, but its a good thing to get other peoples opinions so that you realize that you can do even better next time. Different time of the day or different angle could have made a big difference, but I know, children don't choose their positions and expressions depending on the angle of the sun.

/Tommy
09-11-2009, 04:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kai Quote
Thank you guys, I will keep in mind all of the factors. That site is pretty useful. I have updated the pictures with exif and correction. Is 55-300 a better lens than 18-55wr?
From the lens review section in this forum, the 55-300 is slightly better overall than the 18-55WR.

As for the shadow in image #2, a little bit of post processing magic (Paint Shop Pro X) can improve the image a bit.

And here is #1 with a lot less post processing work.

Tim

10-07-2009, 05:20 PM   #8
Kai

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Taff Quote
TIP - shoot lots and lots, and when your fed up shoot MORE
This tip sticks with me every time I feel fed up and overwhelmed of how I can't take better pictures. This is a very good tip! Thanks!
10-07-2009, 05:23 PM   #9
Kai

Original Poster
Thank you, Tim. I will keep playing with post processing. Recently, I just got an oldie SMC 55mm F1.8. It is a bit different. I'll post some good shots when time permits.