Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  
Hummingbirds in our yard - DA*300 **9/17 - New images added to end of thread **
Posted By: Bud, 09-10-2009, 09:28 AM

The leaves are starting to fall from the trees and summer's blooms are fading... sure signs that another season of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds is wrapping up here in the Midwest. By the end of September, almost all of them will be well into their 500 to 1,000 mile migration south (including 500-600 non-stop miles across the Gulf of Mexico for those headed to Central America.)

We're still seeing 3 or 4 daily in our yard as they fatten up for the southern excursion. Here's a few images of these fascinating winged wonders that I'd like to share.

Nectaring from Leonotis leonurus - first time we've grown this plant... it's awesome in bloom!
1/800s f/6.3 at 300.0mm iso320

In a bed of Black-eyed Susans and salvia coccinea
1/400s f/4.5 at 300.0mm iso800

On the bloom of Stachystarpheta jamaicensis - Purple Porterweed
1/500s f/5.6 at 300.0mm iso125

Spigelia marilandica - Indian Pink
1/2000s f/4.0 at 300.0mm iso640

Cooling off in the sprinkler on a hot September day
1/320s f/8.0 at 300.0mm iso320

And a few "perched" shots

It's amazing all of the stretching exercises they go through... I think that the "neck extension" is my favorite
1/800s f/5.0 at 300.0mm iso640

Rear rudder adjustment...
1/800s f/5.0 at 300.0mm iso640

Ready for takeoff...
1/640s f/5.0 at 300.0mm iso400

And a farewell salute... or is it a 'Saturday Night Fever' move?
1/1250s f/7.1 at 300.0mm iso250

Thanks for looking!

Bud

Last edited by Bud; 09-17-2009 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Add images
Views: 11,224
09-17-2009, 02:14 PM   #31
Bud
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Mike and krs

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Stunning photos Bud. I've managed to catch a few hummers at my mom's house in PA but never with the clarity and energy that these shots have. Very very well done!

Mike
Thanks, Mike! "Energy"... I like that They are certainly full of energy!

QuoteOriginally posted by krs Quote
All I can say is "WOW". We occasionally get hummingbirds in our yard - I doubt I can get pictures like this, though!
Once you establish the habitat... the number of hummingbirds returning each year grows. And, then... patience, practice and observation. Just be careful... it's possible for it to grow into a full-blown obsession

Thanks!

Bud

09-17-2009, 03:38 PM   #32
Bud
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A few more images from the past 3 days...

Leonotis Leonurus - Lion's Tail or Lion's Ear - native to South Africa... great annual for the hummingbird garden in non-tropical climates.

Salvia Coccinea - 'Lady In Red'

Stachystarpheta jamaicensis - Purple Porterweed

Last edited by Bud; 09-17-2009 at 03:52 PM. Reason: add pic
09-17-2009, 03:56 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Bud, every single shot is just great!
Thanks for posting
09-18-2009, 07:18 PM   #34
Bud
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Norbert

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
Bud, every single shot is just great!
Thanks for posting
Thank you!

09-19-2009, 02:38 AM   #35

I feel so sad now....I thought my hummingbird pictures were so nice but now I see I have to keep trying....these are absolutely breathtaking! Guess it pays to have the right equipment. Maybe Santa will be good to me this year )
09-19-2009, 03:06 AM   #36
and
Veteran Member

These are all just superb not much more to say Would make great big prints. and the birds themselves are so colorfull and pretty.
09-20-2009, 08:52 AM   #37
Bud
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Digimom and ... and

QuoteOriginally posted by Digimom Quote
I feel so sad now....I thought my hummingbird pictures were so nice but now I see I have to keep trying....these are absolutely breathtaking! Guess it pays to have the right equipment. Maybe Santa will be good to me this year )
Thank you for the very nice comments! The DA*300 is a fantastic lens, and I'm sure that Santa probably has one in his bag somewhere

A more important factor, however, in my ability to get these shots, is the hummingbird environment we have created here. We have a large variety of nectar plants around our home... in the garden, flowering vines at various locations around the foundation of the house and trees and shrubs that bloom throughout the summer. We aslo have 6-7 feeders spread out on our property as well as a number of perching locations... low-hanging dead branches that I never trim, and twigs and branches that I place in some of the plant containers on our deck. Many of these plants are visible from windows inside the house, and by mid-summer, it seems that many of the hummingbirds are accustomed to our presence outside. I'm often able to get within 5-7 feet of the subjects while shooting hand-held.

I guess you could say that hummingbirds have become part of our summertime lifestyle

If you're interested, I have categorized most of hummingbird images from past years by plants species. Monarda 'Jacob Cline' is a great one in early summer and many salvias are good from June to September.

Thanks again for your comments!

Bud

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
These are all just superb not much more to say Would make great big prints. and the birds themselves are so colorfull and pretty.
Thank you!

09-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #38

Incredible shots! Wish I hadn't seen this post...now I need a second lens. Thanks, Bud.
09-20-2009, 01:56 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Beautiful shots, you're the champ !
09-20-2009, 02:38 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
a great piece of glass (particularly in the hands of a skilled user).
Amen--especially the skilled user part! Sure it's a great lens but I've got one and I can't touch that quality even with stationary subjects. These are just jaw-droppingly amazing photos.
09-21-2009, 07:28 PM   #41
Bud
Veteran Member

Original Poster
kklabunde, Sune, dadipentak

QuoteOriginally posted by kklabunde Quote
Incredible shots! Wish I hadn't seen this post...now I need a second lens. Thanks, Bud.
Thanks... and my apologies Are you still seeing hummingbirds in Indiana?

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
Beautiful shots, you're the champ !
Thanks, Sune! Haven't heard from you lately. How've you been?

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Amen--especially the skilled user part! Sure it's a great lens but I've got one and I can't touch that quality even with stationary subjects. These are just jaw-droppingly amazing photos.
Thank you for the nice comments! Very much appreciated.

Bud
09-21-2009, 09:02 PM   #42
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Truly awesome shots Bud.

I'm trying to get our yard setup for birds and of course hummingbirds. But it's slow going. I share this house and it's two lots with two sisters, and two nephews. The sisters don't care for my type of flowers. And the nephews have their boats sitting in the back yard.
Now I just have to figure out where to plant things so they don't interfer with all that.
09-21-2009, 09:58 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Gadzooks! Jaw droppingly good! You have great lens handling skills!

edit: do you have any higher resolution photos? i would love to use some as my desktop wallpaper.

ahhhhhh damn LBA has reared it's ugly head once again!
09-22-2009, 02:47 PM   #44
Bud
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Photolady, xhanatos

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Truly awesome shots Bud.

I'm trying to get our yard setup for birds and of course hummingbirds. But it's slow going. I share this house and it's two lots with two sisters, and two nephews. The sisters don't care for my type of flowers. And the nephews have their boats sitting in the back yard.
Now I just have to figure out where to plant things so they don't interfer with all that.
Thank you! Surely, you can find a corner with a fair amount of sun somewhere on two lots? How about containers on wheels that you could move around? Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions about nectar plants... happy to share my experiences.

QuoteOriginally posted by xhanatos Quote
Gadzooks! Jaw droppingly good! You have great lens handling skills!

edit: do you have any higher resolution photos? i would love to use some as my desktop wallpaper.

ahhhhhh damn LBA has reared it's ugly head once again!
Thanks! I haven't had any recurring LBA since acquiring the DA*300

Let me know which image you'd like in higher resolution... I'll post it here. I'd be honored for to you use one of my shots as your desktop!
09-25-2009, 07:48 AM   #45
Veteran Member

The third and last shots are my favorites.

*Sigh* Now I have to go get a loan so I can get the DA*300 to add to the collection...