Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The grim, slate-grey beaches of Vancouver!
Posted By: knochelbiter, 09-10-2009, 02:57 PM

Moved to Vancouver last week after living in Edmonton for 5 years, and what a world of difference a fourteen-hour drive makes! Still getting used to things, but so far my girlfriend and I really, really like it here. Beautiful scenery, quick public transit, cheap, tasty food, a sushi restaurant on every corner, what's not to like?

Oh, besides the rain...

Someone told me that the secret to surviving the rainy winters here is thinking of them as "spooky" rather than "gloomy", to try and emphasize that Twin Peaks mystique so you don't go crazy. With this in mind I've desaturated these and lowered the clarity in Lightroom a little bit... comments appreciated.

All with Takumars 3.5/28mm and 1.4/50mm.

Views: 1,621
09-10-2009, 03:14 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice pictures! I really like the effect.

I lived in Vancouver (BC) in the early 1980s and believe me...you don't know about grey days yet. What you have so far is only "semi" grey.

Steve

(A few hours to the south in the "other" Vancouver...)
09-10-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
After having grown up in Chilliwack, and living between there and Vancouver the first 25 years of my life I grew to like the weather.

However you won't find me back there, for more than a day or 2 now. It's too wet, and I can feel it almost instantly.

If you haven't broken any bones, and don't have arthritis you'll probably be fine there.
However if you have then I'll wish you good luck now. You'll need it over the wet season, commonly known as Winter
09-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice stuff - I particularly like the last two.

Jer

09-10-2009, 04:51 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice. The soft feel adds a gentle touch to these bad weather photos.
Well done with the Taks - these are nicely rendered.
09-10-2009, 10:40 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks all.

I'm enjoying the nice weather now, and waiting to see exactly how grey it gets during the monsoon season... good chance to see how waterproof the k10d really is....
09-11-2009, 08:40 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Beautiful shots, you captured the feel perfectly. Having lived on the coast and often visiting my mother who still lives in Ladner I'll give you a quote from my Dad when I complained about the wet.. "That isn't rain.. it's just a heavy mist..."