Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Website - photo Gallery
Posted By: joele, 05-22-2007, 07:08 AM

Joel's Photography

I recently decided to dump my pbase account and setup my own website/gallery...

I only started on the weekend and have plenty of work to do (and of course very little spare time)..

Its simple I know.. I'm a programmer not a website designer..
Views: 2,525
05-22-2007, 07:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The initial inspection looks good to me, I'll have to wait until tonight to do any real surfing though (mouse batteries are going dead and the stores didn't have any yesterday)
05-22-2007, 07:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really nice site Joel, I really like the home page. Two minor niggles, the last image in "urban" the thumbnail would not expand and I think you mispelled the first image in "abstract" unless of course you meant "robe" instead of "rope"

NaCl(really like the layout of that first page, simple uncluttered yet easily navigated)H2O
05-22-2007, 07:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks for picking up those errors, I certainly meant rope

spelling fixed, and I think that last image should be right now?

...so many more to photos and categories to process and create... :-/

05-22-2007, 05:00 PM   #5

the site looks good Joele, my only grumble is that the expanded images are still on the small side.

Karen
05-22-2007, 05:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It looks really good Joel. The first page is clean, easy to navigate and a beautiful photo at the top. The only comment would be the same as Karen. I would love to be able to see the photos in a bigger size. Maybe as a new fullsize window if you click on it.

Cheers

Eddie
05-22-2007, 05:42 PM   #7
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
Joel's Photography

I recently decided to dump my pbase account and setup my own website/gallery...

I only started on the weekend and have plenty of work to do (and of course very little spare time)..

Its simple I know.. I'm a programmer not a website designer..
I like it!
And I'd like to come to Australia and visit your wonderful continent!

05-22-2007, 07:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Pretty slick! I like how you can use the scroll wheel to browse through the photos. Wait a minute...no room for smeagol??
05-22-2007, 08:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mingdie Quote
It looks really good Joel. The first page is clean, easy to navigate and a beautiful photo at the top.
Thanks, I have that framed (30" wide) above my TV ;-)

QuoteQuote:
The only comment would be the same as Karen. I would love to be able to see the photos in a bigger size.
I can add a full size view option on right click.. the problem is the way it works to avoid slow load on each picture click it is actually loading all the pics on the page in the background, so you get fast response when browsing. So if I have full size images in there, itr means more data for the user. Its the same way Pentax Gallery works and so I went for 600 pixels on the largest side.. I might up it to 800 or 900, then people can right click and get a bit bigger full screen pic..
05-22-2007, 08:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Pretty slick! I like how you can use the scroll wheel to browse through the photos. Wait a minute...no room for smeagol??
smeagal will be coming soon, in a misc category..
05-23-2007, 12:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Hey, Joel. I did not realise you set up a gallery so quick just in a few days! The front page is beautiful - the pano really stands out!

Maybe I should have waited til you coming up with do-it-yourself on-line gallery before I made a rash decision ... (Maybe I will get some tips from you later on once I got my own template)

James
05-23-2007, 01:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Although I'd like to see bigger pictures (I'd limit them to 800 pixels, so people don't borrow them without your permission for anything... I usually make pano's 2500 wide though) they fit in the window so nicely at that size.
05-23-2007, 05:09 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Nice site Joel. Very easy layout and user friendly.
I'll have to get mine started at some stage.
05-23-2007, 05:46 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Nice design. Easy navigation. Calm site.
Thanks for showing.
05-23-2007, 06:22 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Very nice work on the site. Its all so smooth to look around and use.

Only one problem i found though, the scroll wheel thing to go between photos is great. But it kind of takes over the browser window, for example i have some 20+ tabs open in firefox and i use the mouse scroll to get to each one. With your gallery open in a tab, it wouldnt let me scroll to my other tabs. Probably not that much of an issue, but i did have to think for a moment about why it wasnt working properly.