Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Light Box Picture question.
Posted By: jbrowning, 09-12-2009, 04:24 PM

Help on my set up please. I built a light box this afternoon to take pictures of some figurines my sister is wanting to sell on Craigs list. First off here is my picture that I have taken.

This was taken with a 540 flash attached to the camera pointed to the top of the lightbox. The flash is set to PTTL and over exposure by 1 full step. I tried a half step but the pictures came out looking dull.

I am using a k20d with the sigma 17-70mm 2.8 and ISO 200.

The box is made of poster board 20x30 using white tape to hold it together.

How can I get rid of the harsh light (from the flash) that shows up behind her head? I have a diffuser but it is a large one not one that attaches to the flash.

My second or third question is how do I get rid of the line between the bottom and the back piece of board? I have heard that you can use white tape to hide the crease. But the white tape I have (masking and duct tape) are not even close to the white color of this poster board. I have heard of people using white material and taping it to the top of the back of the box and let it lie forward towards the front of the box. How would the figurine set flat is the material is under her?

Thank you all for your help.

Thanks
Jim Browning

Last edited by jbrowning; 09-12-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Views: 1,328
09-12-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How can I get rid of the harsh light (from the flash) that shows up behind her head? I have a diffuser but it is a large one not one that attaches to the flash.

My second or third question is how do I get rid of the line between the bottom and the back piece of board? I have heard that you can use white tape to hide the crease. But the white tape I have (masking and duct tape) are not even close to the white color of this poster board. I have heard of people using white material and taping it to the top of the back of the box and let it lie forward towards the front of the box. How would the figurine set flat is the material is under her?

OK, To lessen the spot behind the figure...Move your flash further away with a white sock over the flash head...Try a a foot at a time until you get what you want.

To get rid of the seam, "roll" a piece pf white paper from the top of the back wall to the at least the middle of the floor of your Light-Box. Just like would be done in a large studio backdrop. But in miniature. You will need to move your figure further away from the back wall though, and a few inches away from the "Bend" that is caused as the paper changes direction from the back wall to the floor of the light-box. Place the tape "outside" of the image frame.
09-12-2009, 07:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Hello Arbib, I switched my flash to A with the iso 400 and at f/8 which are the settings I had set on my camera. Here is one of the results I got.

Thanks for the info on how to do the paper to get rid of the crease.

Thanks
Jim