Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Decided to do some macros/close-up's (8 IMGS)
Posted By: pcarfan, 09-13-2009, 03:40 PM

Decided to deviate from my usual style of shooting and do some macros or rather close-ups. The only macro lens I have is the Russian M42 volna 50/2.8 1:2 macro. I also used the F135/2.8, images cropped to various degree. It is rather difficult to put character into macro images, I guess the merit lies in magnification. Tried different crops to add character. I found the wind, dof, and the LCD being useless in the bright sun to be the difficulties in getting these shots. I am liking this, and will soon be getting a proper longer macro....

C&C welcome....EXIF intact.

Views: 1,541
09-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I haven't seen a monarch butterfly for a while. We used to see them all the time. Now we get mostly moths.
09-13-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
That's interesting. I assumed they are quite common place,

Here is another one showing the wings....

09-13-2009, 04:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

quote " I am liking this, and will soon be getting a proper longer macro.... "
I still have a looong ways to go to master macro but it is fun. It does require a lot of patience though.
I really like the first two. I have seen a few shots from the Volna-9 and it seems to do well. I have thought about trying one a time or two. But you know how I have been about macro lenses.

09-13-2009, 04:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
quote " I am liking this, and will soon be getting a proper longer macro.... "
I still have a looong ways to go to master macro but it is fun. It does require a lot of patience though.
I really like the first two. I have seen a few shots from the Volna-9 and it seems to do well. I have thought about trying one a time or two. But you know how I have been about macro lenses.
Thanks. Your Lester Dine 105mm/2.8 is a stunning lens, right?....It would be nice of Sigma would bring there 150/2.8 HSM in Pentax mount soon, as that would be ideal for me.
09-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #6
Bud
Veteran Member

Nice set! Did you get out to Cox Arboretum? I'm thinking about running over there sometime this week.

Monarchs are usually common this time of year, but this summer has been an exception. Butterfly numbers are WAY down in many areas due to the rain and cooler temperatures. We collect butterfly eggs and raise the caterpillars, then release the butterflies (in the wild, approx. 1% of eggs make it to the adult butterfly stage due to predation from insects, small mammals and birds. Our "catch and release numbers are around 75%). We'll probably wind up releasing about 25% of the numbers of swallowtails and monarchs that we had the past two summers. I think we still have 7 Monarch chrysalises waiting for warmer weather to eclose.
09-13-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you. Yes went to Cox Arboretum, spent a couple of hours. This was in the wild, the butterfly enclosure wasn't open.

09-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #8
Inactive Account

#2 & #4 are my picks for your series.

Great work on getting good DOF coverage where needed.
09-19-2009, 11:20 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Awesome macro's. Thanks for sharing