Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Bear- The one that got away & more
Posted By: OrenMc, 09-17-2009, 05:34 PM

This guy jumped out of the woods in front of my jeep and to the other side of the road. But by the time I got my camera ready he was down the hill. Not as sharp as I would have love to had this one. A little motion blur and missed focus but I am still keeping it. That dang plant in front of its nose also.
Yellowstone Park. The only bear we seen this time.

Last edited by OrenMc; 09-17-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Views: 2,059
09-17-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
Igilligan

Ha ha... one little plant as tall as his nose and you catch it... ain't that just the way.

Still a great shot... one I would be proud to have shot as fast as you got this one.

Good job... Damn plant! 8^)

PS that is a beautiful bear.
09-17-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks gus, some folks have all the luck.
I think I will add a couple other shot from Yellowstone here also. Speaking of luck though, we seen no elk, moose, or wolf, but a whole bunck of those big dumb buffalo. Not that I don't like buffalo, its just that their a little too common place in some parts and I have seen my share.

Landscape. Devils Thumb

Yellowstone Falls

Last edited by OrenMc; 09-17-2009 at 08:40 PM.
09-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice Oren.
Lovely serene waterfall capture there.
Looks like a beautiful part of the world.

09-17-2009, 06:43 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Nice shots; I'd like to make it there with the family someday for the scenery (not the bears; we get plenty of black bears in the area coming down from the mountains!).
09-17-2009, 06:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
This guy jumped out of the woods in front of my jeep and to the other side of the road. But by the time I got my camera ready he was down the hill. Not as sharp as I would have love to had this one. A little motion blur and missed focus but I am still keeping it. That dang plant in front of its nose also.
Yellowstone Park. The only bear we seen this time.

Were you still inside your Jeep when you took this shot,because that bear looks big!!The sharpness isn't that bad.It sounds like you only had a split second to get the shot in.Well done on the effort.What lens did you use?
09-17-2009, 07:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Very nice Oren.
Lovely serene waterfall capture there.
Looks like a beautiful part of the world.
Thank you Ash,
It is a very scenic area. I just wish we would have had more time. I was driving from Seattle to Burlington, Wyoming just outside of Cody to visit my son and grandkids. We stopped in Bozeman, MT to pick up my daughter and spent the night then continued the next day though the park. It was more about seeing the kids which I haven't seen for about a year and a half.
But I'll tell ya, that kind of driving with those kind of views I could do a lot of.

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
Nice shots; I'd like to make it there with the family someday for the scenery (not the bears; we get plenty of black bears in the area coming down from the mountains!).
Thank you and I hope you can plan a visit. They have a pretty good grizzly population and I hear the wolves are doing real well also. I would love to get a good wolf shot. The canyon and gysers are really cool also. I would like to spend a few days there.

QuoteOriginally posted by Barnster Quote
Were you still inside your Jeep when you took this shot,because that bear looks big!!The sharpness isn't that bad.It sounds like you only had a split second to get the shot in.Well done on the effort.What lens did you use?
Thank you also. I did some crazy driving to get parked off the road and out of the way of traffic. It took a minute before I could put the Sigma 100-300 on which I should have had ready. You never know whats around the next corner but you can always take you time when your at a falls or something.
09-17-2009, 07:34 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Waterfall shot really looks like a perfect frame for a painting of the same...very nice composition.

The bear is a conversation piece with the plant on her/his nose but if you dont like it it wouldnt take much editing to replace it with bear colors.

09-19-2009, 03:09 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Nice series! I like the shot of Yellowstone canyon (#2). I like the color saturation and the over-all tonality!