Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Onions in B&W
Posted By: Buddha Jones, 05-23-2007, 10:02 AM

Inspired by those awesome photos of Garlic, I decided to test the waters with B&W myself. I submitted this one to the photo contest but would love some feedback on what I could do better, lighting, compostition, anything.

Attached Images

Views: 1,080
05-23-2007, 04:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Intriguing. I like it - to me it's abstract and "other worldly". Kinda spooky in a provocative and positive way.

Jer
05-23-2007, 05:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with Jer, it has a nice abstract look to it.
If you didn't mention onions in your title, I'm not sure I would have guessed it.
Nice shot, very small depth of field, did you try the same shot with more depth ?
I'm guessing that's with your new Vivitar 105mm ?
05-23-2007, 09:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all. I was chopping up some onions when I pulled the hearts out and saw some cool shapes so I saved them for later. Well later ended up being about 1AM, lighting was at a minimum so I had to use the AF360, and yes, with the VIV105.
By the time I lined that shot up my hands were killing me. The combination of flash and aperature at night, while so close to the subject made getting various DOFs with that wafer thin focus point such PITA.

I pretty much gave up. I need to find a small bean bad to use as a lens mount.

05-23-2007, 11:31 PM   #5

Hey Buddha,

I think you're on the right track. The background's a nice black and with that nice macro lens you should be able to see some excellent detail.

Some kind of body/lens stabilization is imperative... even if it is just placing the camera on whatever you find around the kitchen. You could also buy a Gorillapod or some kind of sturdy table-tripod for not much money.

Suggestions: Try different angles and placements. Experiment with slightly greater depth of field as mentioned above. Use mirror-lockup for the best quality image.

The right-side of the image is blown out. This could, of course, have artistic merit for some photographs but you might want to be able to control the light falling on the subject.

A very interesting choice of subject, for sure. I might give it a go this weekend. I haven't used my Tamron 90mm f/2.5 in a long, long time!
05-24-2007, 12:35 PM   #6

I like it. You did the B&W really nice....deep blacks etc. Makes a really nice abstract...

I'd hang that on a wall.