Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Days in Havasupai (Lots of Pictures)
Posted By: justuspr, 05-23-2007, 10:35 AM

Well I just got back from a 4 day trip to Havasupai, for those that have never heard of this place (which is probably most) its an Indian reservation in the Grand Canyon. It's very remote, after a 3.5 hour drive from Las Vegas to the parking lot, its a 10 mile hike (very dry and hot desert hike) to the camping area. The first mile or so is very steep switch backs (1000+ feet decent). Once you reach the campground you are with in 5 miles of 4 major waterfalls and countless cascades. Its very lush and verdant through this area, (quite the juxtaposition from the desert hiking in). Anyway I packed my K100d and tripod about 35 miles over the 4 days we were there and took 100's of pictures. The lighting conditions were challenging, lots of high contrast situations with the high canyon walls creating strong shadows. It was an amazing trip and well worth the effort to get there. I'll post some pictures here but more can be seen at my Picasa Albums

Havasu Falls

Navajo Falls

Mooney Falls

Beaver Falls

A few Random shots

Sorry for so many pictures but a few just don't do it justice.
Views: 1,578
05-23-2007, 04:29 PM   #2
db2

amazing place

That must have been quite a buzz.
05-23-2007, 04:48 PM   #3

Thank you for sharing the sights that you saw after what must have been quite an arduous hike! All that greenery and water amidst barren rock is fascinating.

The 'people shots' from Havasupai are very enjoyable as well... looks like a really interesting bunch of people. I liked 11 a lot!

Nikhil
05-23-2007, 06:59 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
DB2: yes it was quite a buzz.

Nixarma: The hike in was brutal, we got a late start so we ended up arriving at the camp area about 4:00 pm, hiking through the hottest part of the day was not a good idea. In fact it was bad enough that we decided to hike out in the middle of the night (9:30 pm - 3:00 am) so that we wouldn't have to do the switchbacks in the heat.

It was an interesting group of people too, my younger brother just graduated from college, they are all his friends, my wife and I were the old fogies of the bunch.

I assume you mean number 11 above which is a deceiving picture, those are wild grapes covering that valley as the trail goes through there are places where they are over your head. that valley was 150 - 200 yards wide and around 1/3 - 1/2 of a mile long. It was really cool. Here is another picture for scale:

If you look closely you can see my wife holding her hands up above her head in this one, she is to the right of the tree about even with the base. At this resolution she looks like sensor dust, but she is standing up (5'10").

05-23-2007, 07:34 PM   #5
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stunning and beautiful! That's some place, a nice reward for enduring the challenges getting there!
05-26-2007, 11:29 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Don't know how I missed this one - those shots are stunning - what a beautifull place - well done
05-26-2007, 11:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm amazed. That place in suddenly added to my must see list and I think that it's on the top.
05-26-2007, 12:34 PM   #8

Breathtaking.The shots and the place too.

05-26-2007, 12:46 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by justuspr Quote
Nixarma: ....
I assume you mean number 11 above which is a deceiving picture, those are wild grapes covering that valley as the trail goes through there are places where they are over your head. that valley was 150 - 200 yards wide and around 1/3 - 1/2 of a mile long. It was really cool. Here is another picture for scale:
Actually, I meant photograph number 10 in the "people shots" gallery (I thought it was number 11 on that day, but my browser could have been screwing up.) But this one's a very nice photograph too!
05-26-2007, 01:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
brilliant!

I really am impressed with your shots. Makes the long trek well worthwhile I imagine. Look forward to seeing some more sometime.