Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Galapagos Island Gigantic Tortoise
Posted By: tknterry, 05-23-2007, 09:22 PM

Hello, I just returned from the Amazon forest and the Galapagos Islands last week. I brought back a few photos with me too using my Pentax K10D and Tamron 28-300 lens mostly. Here is one of the multitude of images which I have much work to do with in selecting/processing, etc before I place them on my website. This is one of the remaining Gigantic Tortoises which weigh up to 500 pounds each and live up to 150 years. This one I photographed on the island of Santa Cruz at the Charles Darwin Research Center which is working to breed these tortoises to boost the population which has been drastically reduced by the most invasive and predatory species to come to the Galapagos Islands, homo sapiens. Trust me, I will have more photos in the future of this remarkable place

Attached Images

Views: 2,626
05-23-2007, 10:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very interesting animal tknterry. I hope that you post more of him or his friends as well.
05-24-2007, 12:27 AM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great capture. Did you bribe him with food to get that shot?
05-24-2007, 03:53 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wonderful capture Terry. It is so sad that so much of the earths biodiversity is being destroyed. Looking forward to seeing more of your trip. I'm sure they'll live up to the excellent quality of your gorilla photos.

NaCl(what is sometimes done in the name of "progress" is an abomination)H2O

05-24-2007, 05:24 AM   #5
Bud
Veteran Member

Great shot, Terry! I'm extremely envious of your recent trips. Those are two of my "gotta get there someday" vacation plans.
05-24-2007, 12:24 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
No, and I didnt ride on top of the tortoise either Im not sure why he opened his mouth, but he uttered something at the same time...perhaps he was yawning He kept it open for maybe 30 seconds. I was in front of him for several minutes.
Thanks everyone for the comments. I do plan on going back to the Galapagos...but next time with a small group that has less of a tourist focus and more on natural history and photography. The only thing is its much more expensive

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Great capture. Did you bribe him with food to get that shot?
05-24-2007, 12:27 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
By the way, I like these Pentax forums. I posted the same photo on DPR and not one solitary feedback comment resulted. Its not surprising, given the forum structure. Its absolutely antiquated and obsolete. Maybe the merger with Amazon will result in some improvements. This forum is stellar though. Good work MO!!!

05-24-2007, 07:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

terry,

Nice shot. I almost made a side trip there after finishing my graduate work researching monkeys in the Amazon... but I was broke and couldn't afford it. Now, I can't seem to find the time.

I am looking forward to your future posts on this archeapelago... and drooling

Stephen
05-24-2007, 10:43 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tknterry Quote
Hello, I just returned from the Amazon forest and the Galapagos Islands last week. I brought back a few photos with me too using my Pentax K10D and Tamron 28-300 lens mostly. Here is one of the multitude of images which I have much work to do with in selecting/processing, etc before I place them on my website. This is one of the remaining Gigantic Tortoises which weigh up to 500 pounds each and live up to 150 years. This one I photographed on the island of Santa Cruz at the Charles Darwin Research Center which is working to breed these tortoises to boost the population which has been drastically reduced by the most invasive and predatory species to come to the Galapagos Islands, homo sapiens. Trust me, I will have more photos in the future of this remarkable place
Wonderful shot of an interesting animal, looking forward to the rest your images.

Heinrich
05-25-2007, 06:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Great shot.