Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Utah images - Capitol Reef NP (just two for now)
Posted By: Marc Langille, 09-21-2009, 07:08 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am late to the Utah Photography workshop image posts, so here goes - first images from Capitol Reef National Park in Utah!! Both formations are right beside the visitors center at Capitol Reef. I think the gods of light were smiling on me with this first image. I cannot believe the air clarity and blues in the skies in this part of Utah. Evidently it's billed as the cleanest air in the US = visibility sometimes over 100 miles.

Rim Overlook:

The Castle:

These images have all been upped in resolution from 10.1MP to 25.3MP. This will translate into 6114 x 4113 pixels. IMHO, these images cannot do the real subjects any justice - this is but a shadow of the real thing. It's my hope the park folks will like them enough at 16 x 24 or 24x36 in print as a donation... Everyone in the workshop was kind enough to offer to pitch in for the printing/framing costs if the park accepts them!!

I am very pleased that at the request of the digital image librarian (a Park Ranger), several of my images taken at Capitol Reef will become part of the Capitol Reef National Park image library (with usage restrictions). I sincerely hope you enjoy these images.

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 09-22-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Views: 4,264
09-22-2009, 08:36 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like a wonderful place! Can't wait to hear from Ole about the trip!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-22-2009, 09:27 PM   #17
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lovely captures.
Vivid colours and textures and great detail.
09-23-2009, 07:32 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bud Quote
Marc - nice shots! I love that part of the country and would have loved to join your group out there... just not in the budget right now. The one thing that smacks me in the face every time we go to Utah / Arizona... is the sky and the air quality. Living here in "sinus valley" as many of the locals refer to it... it is, indeed, a breath of fresh air
Thank you Bud and my honor to share (in some fashion) the beauty of this area. It's truly amazing...

QuoteOriginally posted by skinja Quote
Nice shots Marc, I love that scenary. It looks vaguely familiar. It's going to be really tough to pick one picture for the 16 X 20.
Thanks John and I really enjoyed both of you coming with all of us. Give it some time on the picture choice...
09-23-2009, 02:12 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Fantastic shots... I was actually in that area of Utah back in May. I haven't really processed any of my photos yet as work has swamped me for the past 5 months, but perhaps your images will inspire me to squeeze some time into getting those photos done.

Capital Reef is fantastic, and I do know that your light definitely was a lot better than what I got, especially that shot of the Castle. I found a good shot of that rock elusive as the lighting just wasn't there to make it stand out. Perhaps in the next month or so, I'll post some of my own from this gorgeous place.

09-23-2009, 02:30 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Stunning Marc!
What else can I say.

AKA, GW in that other forum
Attached Images

09-28-2009, 11:01 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Nicely done, Marc. Love these too.
Thank you very much.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Stunning stuff, Marc.

Jer
Glad to share them Jer!

QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
Marc, I am there ... well at least in the virtual world you have captured. Thanks for sharing the beauty.
Much appreciated and it's hard to capture the scope of the vistas we saw. Such beautiful scenery!

Regards,
Marc
09-28-2009, 05:31 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Sounds like you guys had a great time. Photos from everyone the last few days have been incredible. I wish I could have participated but I do hope to do the trip to Utha parks next years vacation.
Thanks for posting. Incredible photos Marc!

09-30-2009, 04:20 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
Excellent shots Marc. Clean and vibrant. All the elements are well composed. Love those variegated rocks. Heinrich is right, the gods of light, seen in the second image, just to the left of the big green tree on the right, apparently are indeed smiling at you.

JMR
Thank you JMR! It's so hard to describe how HUGE some of these geological formations really are - they are wonderful in terms of sheer size and scope. Of course, having such incredible cloud formations during that week was just an huge boost to being able to include more sky when framing a shot.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Looks like a wonderful place! Can't wait to hear from Ole about the trip!
Thanks Adam! It's an area that you can explore for weeks or months and still leave it feeling you're not done with it...

Regards,
Marc
10-01-2009, 06:13 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
It's an area that you can explore for weeks or months and still leave it feeling you're not done with it...
I would agree with that statement 100%.. JIM
10-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
It's an area that you can explore for weeks or months and still leave it feeling you're not done with it...
and we're not done with it either.
10-02-2009, 05:31 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bud Quote
Marc - nice shots! I love that part of the country and would have loved to join your group out there... just not in the budget right now. The one thing that smacks me in the face every time we go to Utah / Arizona... is the sky and the air quality. Living here in "sinus valley" as many of the locals refer to it... it is, indeed, a breath of fresh air
My honor Bud! It's a beautiful area and I'm getting the impression that we may return, based on commentary from several folks.

QuoteOriginally posted by skinja Quote
Nice shots Marc, I love that scenary. It looks vaguely familiar. It's going to be really tough to pick one picture for the 16 X 20.
Thank you John! It's better to have some tough choices instead of only having one to choose from!