Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Utah images - Capitol Reef NP (just two for now)
Posted By: Marc Langille, 09-21-2009, 07:08 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am late to the Utah Photography workshop image posts, so here goes - first images from Capitol Reef National Park in Utah!! Both formations are right beside the visitors center at Capitol Reef. I think the gods of light were smiling on me with this first image. I cannot believe the air clarity and blues in the skies in this part of Utah. Evidently it's billed as the cleanest air in the US = visibility sometimes over 100 miles.

Rim Overlook:

The Castle:

These images have all been upped in resolution from 10.1MP to 25.3MP. This will translate into 6114 x 4113 pixels. IMHO, these images cannot do the real subjects any justice - this is but a shadow of the real thing. It's my hope the park folks will like them enough at 16 x 24 or 24x36 in print as a donation... Everyone in the workshop was kind enough to offer to pitch in for the printing/framing costs if the park accepts them!!

I am very pleased that at the request of the digital image librarian (a Park Ranger), several of my images taken at Capitol Reef will become part of the Capitol Reef National Park image library (with usage restrictions). I sincerely hope you enjoy these images.

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 09-22-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Views: 4,261
09-21-2009, 07:13 PM   #2
AM2
Forum Member

Fantastic images, Marc! They have a great "pop" to them and the detail is very fine indeed.

May I ask how you upsized them? I have my own way of doing it, but am curious about your method.
09-21-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AM2 Quote
Fantastic images, Marc! They have a great "pop" to them and the detail is very fine indeed.

May I ask how you upsized them? I have my own way of doing it, but am curious about your method.
Thank you and I am glad you enjoyed them!

Regarding your question: I normally shoot in RAW, so if I wish to upsize I simply choose the option to upscale the image when opening the PEF file in ACR. It's part of the workflow options. Normally this is chosen for the intent of making very large prints, although it still can be done with a normal rez image if the clarity, etc. is excellent. I was more curious than anything about how well it would hold up.

Regards,
Marc
09-21-2009, 08:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Stunning master Obi-Wan Kenobi , the force is indeed strong with these ones. I would say about a 7.1 (it's one of those you had to be there)

09-21-2009, 09:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Master... Soon I will snatch that pebble! Love this shot Marc. JIM
09-21-2009, 09:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Very nice Marc...
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc:
IMHO, these images cannot do the real subjects any justice - this is but a shadow of the real thing.
I often feel this about landscape shooting - particularly in the vast country in Utah and Nevada... Glad you get that too .
09-21-2009, 11:00 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very very nice Marc and the gods of light were smiling on you with that clean air. Thanks for showing us.

09-22-2009, 05:24 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Stunning master Obi-Wan Kenobi , the force is indeed strong with these ones. I would say about a 7.1 (it's one of those you had to be there)
Dave, thanks and I am trying to figure out if you knew it was 7.1 all along...

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Master... Soon I will snatch that pebble! Love this shot Marc. JIM
I'd be honored if you do that Jim. Your work (as is everyone else's work) is really showing the thought and time taken before firing the shutter.

Regards,
Marc
09-22-2009, 05:56 AM   #9
Bud
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Marc - nice shots! I love that part of the country and would have loved to join your group out there... just not in the budget right now. The one thing that smacks me in the face every time we go to Utah / Arizona... is the sky and the air quality. Living here in "sinus valley" as many of the locals refer to it... it is, indeed, a breath of fresh air
09-22-2009, 07:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Nice shots Marc, I love that scenary. It looks vaguely familiar. It's going to be really tough to pick one picture for the 16 X 20.
09-22-2009, 08:21 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Nicely done, Marc. Love these too.
09-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Stunning stuff, Marc.

Jer
09-22-2009, 02:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Marc, I am there ... well at least in the virtual world you have captured. Thanks for sharing the beauty.
09-22-2009, 03:05 PM   #14
JMR
Veteran Member

Excellent shots Marc. Clean and vibrant. All the elements are well composed. Love those variegated rocks. Heinrich is right, the gods of light, seen in the second image, just to the left of the big green tree on the right, apparently are indeed smiling at you.

JMR
09-22-2009, 08:04 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Very nice Marc...

I often feel this about landscape shooting - particularly in the vast country in Utah and Nevada... Glad you get that too .
Thank you Josh and I see you understand - these images are but representations - it's hard to capture the scope/scale very well. I do have some images with humans or human presence in them to show this for future posts though!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Very very nice Marc and the gods of light were smiling on you with that clean air. Thanks for showing us.
My honor Heinrich! Thank you sir.

Regards,
Marc