Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
K7 and DA*50-135, please comment...
Posted By: Pentax_XTC, 09-22-2009, 07:33 AM

I just got a new K7 and some DA* Series lenses. I went walking around at work the other day and practice my composition. The pictures were converted using Picasa on a work (not color calibrated) computer so let me know if they are too dark or light. I'm looking for contructive feedback about composition and framing.

Thanks.

Note: It had been raining for 5 days here and was overcast when I took the photos.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
K-7  Photo       

Views: 2,018
09-22-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
34 views and no comments?

Tough crowd...
09-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like all your composition and framing technique; but the color rendition seems to make it less appealing - as you said, it may be the lighting condition after the rain. You may want to try the same setting again on a sunny day. Just my 2-cents....
09-22-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The exposures seem to about right on my calibrated monitor...although a bit drab due to the conditions noted. There really isn't too much you can do to make things "pop" when shooting in rainy/dreary conditions. You could try increasing contrast and saturation, but you'd probably end up with photos that look overprocessed.

The subjects aren't very interesting overall, mainly due to the fact that there is no particular main subject in any of the photos (except the first)... Meaning that I almost feel like the second shot is missing some wildlife, the third is missing a car, and the last is missing a person. They just seem a bit empty. But if that's the feeling you were going for, then great! The composition seems mostly fine to me. I would have included more of the frame to the right in the last image, to include the whole concrete walkway and even give a small amount of space in between it and the edge of the frame.

09-22-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback aleonx3 & arpaagent.

For the stairway, the road, and the granite rocks; I was trying to draw focus using the curves that they provided from one side of the frame to the other or from top to bottom. I agree that there needs to be more of the sidewalk on the right, but I was trying to hide the building next to it and it was the best angle I had.

The small apple on the sidewalk was just luck. I didn't know that the trees down the street were fruit trees.

I guess the main thing I'm going for here is playing with angles to make uninteresting objects interesting(to a degree). There isn't much to shoot during lunch at an office building like the one I work in. I had to walk about half a mile to find the apples on the sidewalk.

I agree that the lighting needs to be better, but what can you do with 100% cloud cover.