Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Abstracts in B&W
Posted By: xs400, 09-22-2009, 01:48 PM

I've been trying to look at things from a different point of view. Here are some abstracts in B&W.

Views: 2,316
09-22-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I like these, something very David Lynch about the first two. They are very thought provoking; you've provided a situation and it's made me imagine what's happened in the shot, either before or after.

I'm drawn to the woman in the first shot - it makes me wonder if she was sitting in the seat prior to the shot being taken, or I wonder what she's up to. Is she in a hurry, or was she working there.

The second shot is rather voyeuristic!
09-22-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Frank, you're making the best from your days in hospital!! The first and second one are keepers!!
09-22-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
These are cool shots but, y'know they are not abstracts. An abstract is a photo with no recognisable subject. Here I see a chair, a woman, a mirror, a telephone...

Keep working in this vein!

09-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Frank, #3 is a clever composition.
Well done.
Nice work.
09-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments, they're greatly appreciated.

Big G - I was hoping some of my images would make an impression. I'm glad you found them thought provoking. Also, I'll look up the work by David Lynch, thanks for the information.

Rense - You are right, pics 1, 2, and 4 are from the hospital. If you are looking for some different images, a hospital turns out to be a interesting place to shoot.

rparmar - You're right, they are probably not really abstracts, but I don't know what else to call them.

Ash - Thanks, # 3 is a self portrait.

I am currently taking an intermediate photography class at the local community college. One of our assignments is try and develop our own photographic style. I am leaning towards B&W images similar to those above. Last night I turned in these and other images as part of an assignment for the class. As far as developing my own style, I am hoping create images which make people think about the image.

Last edited by xs400; 09-22-2009 at 03:52 PM.
09-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Frank what's good for the soul is good for the body - excellent use of your recovery time. Well done my friend.

09-22-2009, 05:11 PM   #8
JMR
Veteran Member

Perhaps your forte is BW. I think no 1 and 3 are very good. But I like them all. Excellent work!

JMR
09-22-2009, 11:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

very nice pic's
09-23-2009, 05:24 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, Frank, the first one is really cool. I hope you're healing up well.

Jer
09-23-2009, 09:17 AM   #11
Inactive Account

I like the mellow mood in these and the "outsider/insider" viewpoint, though I'd like to see the shots either in stronger true b&w or in slightly desaturated colours.

And oh, the crop is a bit tight in the last one, though it looks as it wasn't possible to crop it any other way.
09-23-2009, 10:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I really like #1, because of the opposition between the chair and the woman walking away. It also has a strong "contrast separation", with the left side globally much lighter than the right one.

You have certainly achieved your goal ("create images that will make people think about the image") with this one !
09-23-2009, 10:09 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Frank, I hope you are healing up quickly or with minimal discomfort.

I really like #1 and enjoyed the series. Take care and speedy recovery!

Regards,
Marc
09-23-2009, 01:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xs400 Quote
Big G - I was hoping some of my images would make an impression. I'm glad you found them thought provoking. Also, I'll look up the work by David Lynch, thanks for the information.
Lynch is an excellent film director, if you're not familiar with his work, his films are surreal, intelligent, on another level and some would say 'weird'.

I think your first two shots are very Lynch because he uses hallways (particularly empty ones) to convey a theme, or voyeuristic tendancies. Here is an example:

From 20 seconds to 1 minute 15 seconds:

YouTube - Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me: Weird David Bowie scene
09-23-2009, 02:11 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments everyone. I really appreciate your comments.

I am feeling much better today. I saw my doctors yesterday and had a few more x-rays. My doctors tell me I was lucky the injuries from my motorcycle accident weren't a lot worse. Plus, they say I am healing up much faster than they expected. They even gave me the OK to return to work next week! It's still hard to type because I still have very limited use of my left arm - my left arm will be in a sling for another 2 weeks, but I am no longer on Vicodin for pain and that's a good thing.

For my one armed photography, I am using the K100 and F 35-70mm. This makes a nice, light combination. Pics 1, 2, and 4 were taken with the K100 and F 35-70. Funny thing is I had been thinking of selling the F 35-70 because I hadn't been using it - now I am glad I have it.

I'll post a few more B&W's in the Picture of the Week thread.

Big G - I see what you mean about the David Lynch style, thanks for the link. BTW, that is indeed a weird video.

Dave, Marc, JMR, Jer, and everyone else, thanks very much for the "Get well soon". I am definitely on the mend.

Last edited by xs400; 09-23-2009 at 02:18 PM.