Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Petroglyph's from Capitol Reef National park
Posted By: skinja, 09-24-2009, 06:43 AM

I was kind of unimpressed when I took this shot. I just didn't think it would translate well. There is more detail and color here then I remember when I took the picture. It looks like the petroglyph's are emerging from the stone on the left hand lower corner, I want to go peel some more of the stone of to see what I would uncover.

How would you improve this shot? If you don't like feel free to let me know.

Thanks for looking.
Views: 2,842
09-24-2009, 08:00 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I like it a lot! Then again, I'm one of those weirdo geologist types and I enjoy any good rock photos...

Only thing I might do is crop a bit off the upper right corner, getting rid of (reducing anyway) the section with the different colors/textures.

Jim
09-24-2009, 08:30 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yeah the rock on the left really offers nothing - maybe try lightening up (flash fill or contrast) - The colors do not pop here so maybe a high contrast BW shot ?
09-24-2009, 03:05 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Well, I like it a lot! Then again, I'm one of those weirdo geologist types and I enjoy any good rock photos...

Only thing I might do is crop a bit off the upper right corner, getting rid of (reducing anyway) the section with the different colors/textures.

Jim
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Yeah the rock on the left really offers nothing - maybe try lightening up (flash fill or contrast) - The colors do not pop here so maybe a high contrast BW shot ?
Thanks for the imput gentlemen, rework it is, I will post version two soon.

09-24-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Jogn I think I have the same shot. Wiull post later to compare to your bud. JIM
09-24-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks pretty good on the mac John.
You gotta wonder what these images represent. What were these ancient people trying to record here?
Am I looking at helmets...or some sort of space suit??

Intriguing.
09-27-2009, 07:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Jogn I think I have the same shot. Wiull post later to compare to your bud. JIM
Looking forward to it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Looks pretty good on the mac John.
You gotta wonder what these images represent. What were these ancient people trying to record here?
Am I looking at helmets...or some sort of space suit??

Intriguing.
Thanks Grant, Really sucks to be back at work............. I need to win the damn Lotto.

I should have taken a shot of the information board, I usually do, guess I was in to big of a hurry. It must be time to go back
09-27-2009, 07:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Great shot of the wall! It looks like a bunch of you guys were playing in my back yard! Did you guys by chance get any pics of the waterfall on the Fremont river running through Capitol Reef?

09-27-2009, 08:04 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mr tibbs Quote
Great shot of the wall! It looks like a bunch of you guys were playing in my back yard! Did you guys by chance get any pics of the waterfall on the Fremont river running through Capitol Reef?
And what a back yard you have. So many places to see and so little time, we were there for three days, I think we could have been there for three years and still failed to capture everything.
09-27-2009, 08:12 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Mr Tibbs......and what a backyard it is!! Magnificent.

We all wanna come back and play some more too....if thats ok?

There is just so much to see, we know we have missed a lot of it....but what we saw was great, awesome, spellbinding, mesmerising, fantastic

....and did I say we liked it and had a ball! ?

Cheers
09-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Sorry John, here is my photo. JIM

09-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

It is quite a beautiful place! Anybody is always welcome of course, as long as you give me a heads up. That way we can meet up and you guys/gals can give me some tips on what I am doing wrong!! lol Seriously, I would love to meet up with some of you and show you around!!
09-27-2009, 09:03 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mr tibbs Quote
It is quite a beautiful place! Anybody is always welcome of course, as long as you give me a heads up. That way we can meet up and you guys/gals can give me some tips on what I am doing wrong!! lol Seriously, I would love to meet up with some of you and show you around!!
Not sure when but I guarantee I will be back in the next year or so. What part of Utah are you in? Not sure I can tell you what to do to improve, I'm sure I can show you what not to do.

Always glad to meet a fellow member.

Last edited by skinja; 09-27-2009 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Thick fingers
09-27-2009, 09:12 PM   #14
Pentaxian

One more John which is cropped a bit. JIM

09-27-2009, 09:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skinja Quote
Not sure when but I guarantee I will be back in the next year or so. What part of Utah are you in? Not sure I can tell you what to do to improve, I'm sure I can show you what not to do.

Always glad to meet a fellow member.
I'm in central Utah, but I love to travel! I have been to every corner of this state, but I still seem to find something different every time out. Any time you guys come this way feel free to get a hold of me. I would love to meet some members!