Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

A Weekend Away?????
Posted By: Photo Tramp, 11-13-2006, 05:40 PM

Over the past few weeks I have found myself on the outside of the job market looking in. The company I worked for has laid off all the employees and shut the doors. Well this weekend My wife and I wanted to have some time away from home and do some things together. We talked about a short trip, some place not too far, but yet far enough away from everyone here at home.

We ended up going to a small town in northwestern Pa. (Saint Mary's) My wifes home town. It's a beautiful little town In Elk county. Only about 20miles from Benizette PA. (the home of the largest Elk heard in PA.) What a great photo opp.

The town is made up of victorian style homes dating back to Pre revolutionary war days. It is also the home of the carbon industry here in PA. (which by the way died out many, many years ago).

As we drove into the downtown area our hearts saddened at the site of all the businesses that have been boarded up and buildings that have been condemed. the once thriving town was dieing. (So we thought) We found out from some friends that remained we were wrong about the town dieing. In fact More businesses have move into the area and life was pretty good. The town is going threw changes and from what we found out for the better.

The historic buildings are being renovated and being brought back to life.
We had reservations at a small Inn (The TownHouse INN) A victorian mansion dating to 1829. All the rooms are done in victorian era furniture.

As we sat and talked to the manager we soon found out the place was up for sherriffs sale. (Lock, stock, and Licquer license) turns out the owner of this place over extended him self when he tried to buy the entire block and soon went bankrupt.

this was exactly what my wife and I have been looking for for a long time and a perminate investment.

Well today after meetings with town councial and our lawers We became the proud owners of one of the finest Inn's in the United states. Take a look.

The proud new owners.

Oh and the Elk.

Hope you like the place.
Good Shooting.
Cheers: David
Views: 4,925
11-23-2006, 08:58 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations David.

I'm really happy for your good fortune. The place looks like it is in really good shape. Just goes to prove there really is a silver lining to bad luck.

I wish you very good luck in your new endevor.

Alan
PS: Sounds like an ideal place to host a weekend forum photo shoot.