Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
weird weather query
Posted By: uccemebug, 09-25-2009, 07:13 PM

Can anyone comment on what is happening to the sky in these photos? Apparently my meteorology courses in University are too distant in the past. 8(

There was no wind at ground level at the time, and it had been a fairly warm day at ~25C with middling humidity. These were taken from my balcony in Tokyo, which is situated near the sea. It was about two hours after sunset.
Views: 2,145
09-25-2009, 07:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Altocumulus clouds?
09-25-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Might be alto q but its a thin layer and looks lower so it might be stratocumulus. It's very hard to say with the angle and lighting. I just took a look at the western pacific image, if this was a recent image looks like it was some upper level something or the remanats of something.
09-25-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
Marketplace Reseller

my pilot brother in law thinks it is stratocumulus

09-25-2009, 09:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses. I was wondering if it was the result of an inversion or something of the sort. It seems to me that the clouds are forming under a second distinct layer of air but I don't see any signs of shear at all. Like I say, all was calm.
09-25-2009, 10:43 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cumulonimbus Mammatus

This is a mammatus cloud formation infrequently visible on the base of an anvil cloud (cumulonimbus mammatus). Very cool formation and nice photo; usually associated with a very sever thunderstorm.

See Wiki Here
09-26-2009, 02:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
This is a mammatus cloud formation infrequently visible on the base of an anvil cloud (cumulonimbus mammatus). Very cool formation and nice photo; usually associated with a very sever thunderstorm.

See Wiki Here
Thanks, monochrome! Man those are nice photos.

I thought of mammatus when I saw the pattern, but these didn't have anything above them. I realize that that doesn't come across terribly well in these pics. Maybe this one shows it better?

Sorry 'bout the noisy image, my *istDS doesn't like these longish exposures.

09-26-2009, 02:46 AM   #8
and
Veteran Member

looks very interesting, almost like flames creaping along the top of a ceiling if you had colored them red
09-26-2009, 07:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Very cool add in a sunrise or sunset in the clouds and then you got something really special.
10-05-2009, 03:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I sent off a query to a meteorologist, who said:

"The over exposure/city lights is making my identity a little difficult, but from your location near the coast, I am assuming they are strato-cumulus clouds generated by the difference in the land/ocean temperatures. The cooler ocean air was pushed under the rather warm inland air, thereby lifting the airmass and creating the clouds. Also, it looks like the airmass over land was somewhat stable and that is what caused the scalloped look on the bottom of the cloud deck. On several occasions I have seen a stable airmass is forced upward, which results in this scalloped look or even wavy looking cloud bases.

It's not mammatus (higher than 20,000 feet) or alto-cumulus (higher than 7,000 feet) since the city lights would not illuminate them that much.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Michael Eckert"