Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Longhorn -75mm 645 Pentax on K20D
Posted By: Rupert, 09-26-2009, 08:49 PM

Curious if anyone else is using the 645 lenses on the K20D or other Digital bodies? I have purchased several of these fine lenses and find them excellent, although a little difficult to use since they are full manual on the K20D. I have the Pentax adapter, a well made device, but a little pricey. Currently, my two favorites are the 75mm F2.8 and the 45-85 F4.5 followed closely by the F4 120mm Macro. Any experience anyone has using any 645 lenses on your K20D or similar body would be appreciated.
I shot this Longhorn using the 75mm + the Tamron 1.4 TC on the K20D and thought it held up fairly well. I have not had a lot of good luck on many lenses with the Tammy TC, but it works pretty good on this lens.
Regards!
Rupert

Views: 4,665
09-27-2009, 02:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Rupert, that is a nice image of a Longhorn. As for 645 lenses, I don't have any but just recently eyed a 75mm. What is the crop ratio on an APS sensor? BTW, I still do like squirrels.
01-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Hi Rupert, that is a nice image of a Longhorn. As for 645 lenses, I don't have any but just recently eyed a 75mm. What is the crop ratio on an APS sensor? BTW, I still do like squirrels.
Heinrich, I am a little late on a response.... I just guess I missed this, but I certainly do love the 645 lenses and in particular the 75MM 2.8. The lens is always in the "sweet spot" when used on my K20D, and they are fun to use as well as being excellent.
Here is one I played with a little to give a different look at those horns, Just a little warping........I kind of like it!
Best Regards & I will try to stay awake in the future!
Rupert
View Picture EXIF
Name:  IMGP5090-11x14-700.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  610.8 KB

BTW- I still like Squirrels too!
01-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Rupert, that is a really cute squirrel.

01-09-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Susan,......we are having a lot of very strong mutations among the Squirrels down here. Otis is just not looking like his old self, is he?
Best Regards!
01-09-2011, 07:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

great shot, thanks for the lens info. When we were in Texas, we noticed a lot of the cattle ranches were raising goats. Long live the Long Horn, thanks Bob
01-10-2011, 07:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bob, you are likely to see goats and longhorns in the same landscape, they both prefer the brush and less wide open areas. Down the road from me there is an area of about 150 acres. 2/3 being nice wide open grassy fields and 1/3 being thick mesquite brush. That is where I shot this longhorn.....they stay in the brush and I have never seen one in the grassy field area. Goats are in there with them and also avoid the open fields. The fields are usually occupied by the Black Angus...that never roam the brush.
Here you can faintly see an open field behind them, but they prefer the thickest and brush....to the right in this shot were about a 1/2 dozen goats too.
Best Regards!

01-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Lovely shots - great to actually see some 645 shots taken on a Pentax DSLR.

I was eyeing some of these used 645 lenses just last week - but just couldn't see the advantage of them over 'normal' lenses (and prices have started to go up due to the success of the new 645). What do you see are the advantages ?
01-10-2011, 10:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Just a little warping........I kind of like it!
LOL! That's the way... Thanks for share.
01-10-2011, 03:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Lovely shots - great to actually see some 645 shots taken on a Pentax DSLR.

I was eyeing some of these used 645 lenses just last week - but just couldn't see the advantage of them over 'normal' lenses (and prices have started to go up due to the success of the new 645). What do you see are the advantages ?

When I bought these (I have four 645 lenses and the Pentax adapter) they were fairly cheap, and all were almost new. My purpose was to use them to become a better shooter, since they require Full Manual operation, something I was not familiar with. I do think they helped me somewhat in that area, but I soon discovered that they render a different IQ than my other lenses, and began to use them more for that reason. On the K20D a 645 lens is always in the "sweet spot"of the lens, and this accounts for some of the difference, but there are other factors I love too...like the colors and the clarity. Fun to use, nice IQ....that is about it.....

Here is one of my favorite subjects with the 645 200 MM F4, which is the least of them in IQ performance, but still very nice for my needs.
Best Regards!
Baby Otie...When he was a baby......
[IMG] [/IMG]

The 645 120mm Macro is superb....but hard to use due to the inability to get enough light to focus if stopped down heavily.....like f16 or so. A bright LED on the subject can help...if you have a helper.
[IMG] [/IMG]
01-10-2011, 11:32 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Bob, you are likely to see goats and longhorns in the same landscape, they both prefer the brush and less wide open areas. Down the road from me there is an area of about 150 acres. 2/3 being nice wide open grassy fields and 1/3 being thick mesquite brush. That is where I shot this longhorn.....they stay in the brush and I have never seen one in the grassy field area. Goats are in there with them and also avoid the open fields. The fields are usually occupied by the Black Angus...that never roam the brush.
Here you can faintly see an open field behind them, but they prefer the thickest and brush....to the right in this shot were about a 1/2 dozen goats too.
Best Regards!
thanks Rupert for the information. When we were in Dripping Springs Texas last year, I took this photo of the longhorns. The young studs in the back started bumping heads. take care Bob
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio P70  Photo 
01-11-2011, 12:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks for the mini-report Rupert.
01-11-2011, 12:21 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Nice stuff. Next you'll be going to the dogs. LOL
01-11-2011, 07:22 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice shots, buddy. I've always wanted to grab a pic of one of these guys (we have some around here in the coastal world), but I've never pulled it off. I couldn't top these, in any case.

Jer
01-11-2011, 08:36 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Nice shots, buddy. I've always wanted to grab a pic of one of these guys (we have some around here in the coastal world), but I've never pulled it off. I couldn't top these, in any case.

Jer
I really lucked out, this ranch was right around the corner from our campground and the steers were kept in a wooded pasture. This day, the rancher moved them to this open area by the road, and I just happened by and took the photo. Next day, they were back in the woods. Bob