Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

My son and Wall-E (strobist/PP combination)
Posted By: khardur, 09-27-2009, 07:32 AM

So I was messing around with Photoshop the other day, and I had an idea. My son has been into Wall-E since Christmas, we've gone so far as to make a life-size Wall-E out of cardboard and PVC pipe with rollerblade wheels so he can be pushed around the room...

Anyway... I got the most awesome reaction from him after I did this next photo... I took a screenshot from the movie then got to work on the light...

I've got a flash with a plastic bulb over the top of it (made out of some sort of plastic storage bowl with a slot cut into the opening so the flash fits nicely)

A beauty dish with a grid above and to his left, with a purple gel over the flash to match the background light.

And a flash just to my left to provide just a hair of fill.

As far as PP goes - there wasn't much to do. I cloned EVE out of the picture using the shelves to the right of Wall-E to work from, then retouched it a little burning and dodging just to make it blend better. Then I used the magic eraser in Photoshop Elements to remove the background from around my son. Edit: I notice the blue flare line going to the left of the light source is a little off.. I'll have to redo that part later when I have a chance)

The final thing I did was just add some lens flare to blend his hand into the shot better. (there was a flare there already, but plopping him into the photo made his hand go right over top of the light bulb, and it looked way off.
Views: 2,517
09-28-2009, 05:46 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
really cool post work here.. big thumbs up

09-28-2009, 06:21 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
great photo, great imagination, great execution
09-28-2009, 08:09 AM   #18
Veteran Member

nicely done, Dan!
09-28-2009, 08:14 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Incredible work. You brought a big smile to my face as well.

09-28-2009, 12:37 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Wow

Wow. err..10 characters. wow.
09-28-2009, 06:39 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
Thanks for that.

Gives me some ideas for kids photos
yeah it was a rainy day anyway... good for messing around at home and on the computer.

QuoteOriginally posted by JHfwp Quote
Incredible work. You brought a big smile to my face as well.
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Great effect Dan I am sure he is happy with that one. Impressive indeed.
I'm glad, my boy couldn't be happier! I've messed around with it a little more since posting ... adjusted that blue horizontal flare so it's straight and not messed up now... It was one of those things I noticed after a few hours and then it was all I could see until I fixed it. LOL

QuoteOriginally posted by timbo13 Quote
nicely done, Dan!
QuoteOriginally posted by Taff Quote
great photo, great imagination, great execution
thanks guys!

QuoteOriginally posted by devisor Quote
really cool post work here.. big thumbs up
Thanks!