Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

A Mallee Boy (& Girl) let loose in Arizona & Utah
Posted By: Mallee Boy, 09-27-2009, 09:08 PM

You are all probably aware by now of the Utah workshop. Anne & I had the pleasure of visiting a few places before Utah got underway.

This thread is going to be a little pictorial travelogue of our wanderings.
Hope you enjoy the journey... we did.

Also along the way I will make a few travel related comments that may assist others with their travel planning. I am happy to answer any questions on this topic if you have them.

We flew over from Sydney to LAX with V Australia in Premium Economy. We highly reccommend this airline and travel class, both were fantastic. Aircraft was clean, things worked and the staff were attentive but not overpowering. Great stuff V Australia!! you are great.

Lax to Vegas was with North West Air. Aircraft was older and interior was tired & well worn, but it did the job and got us there. Loved the flight attendant.

Next day it was pick up the car (Ford Explorer) and head for the North Rim of the Grand Canyon where we were booked into the motel section of the Lodge. More about that later.

Arrived late evening, and straight behind the car park was this view:
K20D & Tokina 20-35 f2.8

First virginal glimpse:
Attachment 44061

and a bit further along:
Attachment 44062

and that was about all we could handle for Day 1. Dinner at the Lodge was very good and then it was bed.

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 06-29-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Views: 12,350
09-28-2009, 09:43 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Grant, these are all beautiful images. Wish I was there with you and Ann. Keep them coming mate. JIM

09-28-2009, 11:40 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skinja Quote
Unfortunately Ronda and I didn't take Grants advice and join them at the Grand Canyon, we meet up in Page a day after they arrived there. So I don't have any Grand canyon pictures either.

It will just need to be another trip, thats all there is to it.

I'm Still hungry for more.

Great thread Grant.
So when are WE leaving......???

I've had enough of work....it managed without me.
09-29-2009, 05:12 AM   #18
Veteran Member

That is all that is preventing me from photographing the world - work, well there is the money thing - I wonder the kids are legally adults now (well the boy will be in a month) is it time for them to be self suffiicent if we disown our daughter she could get some student loans, we don't need this big house anymore .......

This is something I will do again be it as a course , with friends (some new found ones) , or by myslef - who knows Grant you may one day see that stange looking Canadian and his lovely and talented wife knoicking on your door one day....

Oh and great way to show us all your pics impressive
09-29-2009, 05:38 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great stuff, Grant. Looks like a grand trip.

Jer

09-29-2009, 08:15 AM   #20
Veteran Member

really enjoying seeing these and reading about your trip!
09-29-2009, 02:18 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sunset...then Pizza & Beer

After spending a totally lazy afternoon wandering along the various trails and overlooks along the North Rim ( and discovering that altitude does have a very real impact on ones physicality), something that you should all do as one of those "life" things, just wander, sit, stare, photograph and let it it into your soul.

The thing you will quickly come to appreciate is that the Canyon is constantly changeing. Clouds, shadows, the suns travel...all combine to provide this constant kaleidoscope of colour, texture and shapes.

What we are about to see now is that changeing light as afternoon rolls into evening. Scroll back through some of the earlier shots to get a feel for the change.

The sunset itself was a fizzer, but hey, cant win 'em all.

Gotta be quick though, Jimbo & Dave are getting edgy for their Pizza....which is damned good by the way...almost worth the trip by itself.

Enjoy.

Attachment 44163

Attachment 44164

Attachment 44165

Attachment 44166

09-29-2009, 02:35 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Stunning shots - indeed the light is constantly changing love the way it is reflecting off the rocks and clouds.

No pizza or beer tonight I am afraid. I was at a wedding on Saturday had my share of beer and other spirits I have no cravings yet but time will cure that Hey the weekend is almost here

09-29-2009, 02:42 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I am now going to theropy over Pizza from our trip. The doc says I may be back to nomal in a few months. Great shots Grant. JIM
09-29-2009, 02:43 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Is it true that four pizza shops between Salt Lake City & Torrey have gone broke in the last week??
09-29-2009, 03:10 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Is it true that four pizza shops between Salt Lake City & Torrey have gone broke in the last week??
No one in Salt Lake , and only two in Torrey why do you think all the resturants were closed on Sunday except the Mexican Place
09-29-2009, 03:59 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I think as soon as our group left they could retire on the money they made on us. seemed like everytime I moved there was a peice of pizza in front of me. JIM
09-29-2009, 04:19 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
I think as soon as our group left they could retire on the money they made on us. seemed like everytime I moved there was a peice of pizza in front of me. JIM
I know how much you have been missing the pizza, so I will bring some with me on Saturday.
09-29-2009, 04:30 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I know how much you have been missing the pizza, so I will bring some with me on Saturday
Your all heart! JIM
09-29-2009, 07:45 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Day 3 and the Mallee Girl re-appears

I think you have probably had enough of the North Rim for now, so will keep this brief....well....as I can.
Spent the day driving around the North Rim to various overlooks.

If you are planning on going allow some time adjustment for altitude if you are from sea level like we are. Hiking is difficult at that level if you are not used to it. We abandoned any thoughts of hiking down into the canyon. Interestingly at the end of the trip after 10 plus days at 5,000 feet and higher we felt as though we could have tackled it.

There is still plenty to see & do though on the rim itself.

OK, so here is the farewell to North Rim. We love you and who knows, we may even get back again.

Feeling much better.
Attachment 44182

Overlook whose name I have forgotten....but its the furtherest point you can drive to.
Attachment 44183

The Mighty Colorado.
Attachment 44184

This was taken with the DA 200 & it was raining quite well. I left the camera in the rain and went & stood under a rock outcrop much to the amazement of other shooters who were scurrying to cover their cameras. The K20 has shown no ill effects from its bath.
Attachment 44185

Rain shower at Sunset
Attachment 44186

But dont go away.... because tomorrow we are off to Page. Arizona.

09-29-2009, 08:21 PM   #30
Veteran Member

WOW. those are beautiful images Grant and Ann is looking at her best! Keep them coming. JIM