Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A Mallee Boy (& Girl) let loose in Arizona & Utah
Posted By: Mallee Boy, 09-27-2009, 09:08 PM

You are all probably aware by now of the Utah workshop. Anne & I had the pleasure of visiting a few places before Utah got underway.

This thread is going to be a little pictorial travelogue of our wanderings.
Hope you enjoy the journey... we did.

Also along the way I will make a few travel related comments that may assist others with their travel planning. I am happy to answer any questions on this topic if you have them.

We flew over from Sydney to LAX with V Australia in Premium Economy. We highly reccommend this airline and travel class, both were fantastic. Aircraft was clean, things worked and the staff were attentive but not overpowering. Great stuff V Australia!! you are great.

Lax to Vegas was with North West Air. Aircraft was older and interior was tired & well worn, but it did the job and got us there. Loved the flight attendant.

Next day it was pick up the car (Ford Explorer) and head for the North Rim of the Grand Canyon where we were booked into the motel section of the Lodge. More about that later.

Arrived late evening, and straight behind the car park was this view:
K20D & Tokina 20-35 f2.8

First virginal glimpse:
Attachment 44061

and a bit further along:
Attachment 44062

and that was about all we could handle for Day 1. Dinner at the Lodge was very good and then it was bed.

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 06-29-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Views: 12,341
09-27-2009, 09:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Time for me to get the popcorn, this is a show I don't want to miss.
09-27-2009, 09:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some of us missed some grrat photo opps. Nicely done Grant or are those's Ann's beauties? JIM
09-28-2009, 03:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

That was indeed a mjor road trip for you guys glad you are back safe and sound with a little less dust. Wow that is a majestic view from the cabin indeed. I may hit that area in October not sure ....as John said looking forward to the Anne And Grant's most excellent adventure series.

09-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Day 2 didn't start out all that well. Mallee Girl was not enjoying the altitude and was off colour. Remember the Nth Rim is some 8800 feet, so altitude is an issue.

I had visions of grandeur in hiking down to the roaring falls and back, but after a short stroll out to Bright Angel Point decided that should probably wait until tomorrow.

The motel accommodation is adequate, reasonably priced, quiet, clean and if you are looking for anything "better" there are some cabins but book well ahead. We were there for 3 nights and could have got a cabin, but it was a different one each night..... the prospect of packing each day made the motel room look pretty good.

Staff were great, every staff member we came across always had a smile and a friendly word of greeting. Any request we made was dealt with quickly and efficiently. Can not ask for more than that.

The manager even opened the Post Office after hours to retrieve a certain VIP Package for us the previous evening.

Said package took 35 minutes and three beers to open ( I was thirsty)....tape must be on special!! I'll get ya skinja.....one day.

Anyway, this was the scene from my breakfast spot on my first morning. Cup of coffee, one those sticky cinnamon rolls & a banana (how good was that!!).

Join me, it was serene in the extreme.

Breakfast point, a bench at the top of the trail. Its moments like these that makes you just so damned glad to be alive.
Tokina 235 f2.8
Attachment 44093

Then it was time to give the contents of the VIP package an outing.
Being very careful not to drop it.... (not directed at you Dave...ask John )
so lets have a little look at what is going on on the South Rim some 12 miles away.
Attachment 44094

and another one with the DA* 200.
Attachment 44095

The DA 21
Attachment 44096

Attachment 44097

Well, that was breakfast. Wanna stick around for lunch?

09-28-2009, 03:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I still have a half bowl of popcorn left form last....... OK maybe lunch sounds better this popcorn is stale. uhm....... think I have another present for you let me go tape it up. Did you want butter with that? or better yet maybe a little Vegemite?

Great start to the series. the narration and pictures are great.
09-28-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great start mate.
This looks like a series not to miss.
Must be having a ball there.
Beautiful captures with the DA 21.
Well done so far.
Look forward to more...

09-28-2009, 03:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Wow, now I am really sorry I didn't come out early to shoot with Ann, John and yourself. Beautifully done guys and happy to hear you got home safe and sound. Waiting for more! JIM
09-28-2009, 03:56 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I've cracked a beer an pulled up the chair. Looking forward to lots more, Great story and shots so far!
09-28-2009, 04:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Another chapter down - another great set of images ... looking foward to more Damn you you making think Grand Canyon in October - may have to sepnd a day there ......
09-28-2009, 05:43 PM   #11
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

A captivating story from a land of legends. Next chapter please. Photos out of this world.
09-28-2009, 07:50 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Another chapter down - another great set of images ... looking foward to more Damn you you making think Grand Canyon in October - may have to sepnd a day there ......
Mate....? a day!!

I need to have a long chat with you!!

My prophecy is that if you spend less than 2 nights there (either North or South Rims) .....you are going to be one very UN- happy chappy.

.....so dont say you haven't been warned.
09-28-2009, 08:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Mate....? a day!!

I need to have a long chat with you!!

My prophecy is that if you spend less than 2 nights there (either North or South Rims) .....you are going to be one very UN- happy chappy.

.....so dont say you haven't been warned.
I hear ya but the tip we go on is to Vegas ... athough there are 4 of us so perhaps I could squeak away .... hahaha not sure I can actually like you said a day would be a teaser .... still food for thought ....
09-28-2009, 09:18 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Lunch

North Rim has a reasonable choice of food. The Lodge Dining Room is a "must do at least once" thing and then there is the cafeteria which serves anything from soup, sandwichwes, rolls (cinnamon rolls too) , salads & pizza.

Todays lunch is a sandwich and a bottle of orange juice....and another bench. We also meet a few locals to chat with.

So, pull up a pew, settle down and enjoy a great way to wait for the sun to go down.......
.....hey!! thats my sandwich!!!

The view from our bench
Attachment 44117

More....bored yet (I actually heard someone say that....I all but gave them flying lessons from the rim)
Attachment 44118

Some of the locals I was referring to.
Attachment 44119

Attachment 44120

Attachment 44121

Now dont go away, because its Pizza & beer for dinner....after we shoot the sunset.

09-28-2009, 09:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Unfortunately Ronda and I didn't take Grants advice and join them at the Grand Canyon, we meet up in Page a day after they arrived there. So I don't have any Grand canyon pictures either.

It will just need to be another trip, thats all there is to it.

I'm Still hungry for more.

Great thread Grant.