Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

How big was that Cave
Posted By: Jimbo, 09-28-2009, 05:43 PM

To give you a better prospective on the size of one of the caves we were in here is a picture. The person at the back the the shot is Grant's wife Ann. This was huge and one tough exposure. JIM

Views: 4,004
09-29-2009, 06:53 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
This should help explain it better Steve: the Burr Trail from Boulder, UT along HWY 12 to the Capitol Reef Park boundary is paved. It's another 19.8 miles before you reach the park boundary- then the pavement ends...

Boulder, UT --> Long Canyon, UT --> Capitol Reef Park boundary: View Larger Map

On the second workshop weekend, I did the full loop down the Burr Trail road switchback and headed north on Notom-Bullfrog road through Capitol Reef National Park. That is some switchback!!! I was in 1st gear all the way down driving a Jeep... took a few photos of it too...

Cheers,
Marc

Come on.....share!

please?

09-29-2009, 06:54 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
We got out moneys worth from Mr. Thrifty as well - Damn thing was so mudcaked it was shaking at about 80mph on the highway back to Salt Lake.....
The action shots will be posted at an appropriate time.....with all identifying features concealed.
09-29-2009, 07:03 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Come on.....share!

please?
Soon Grant, I promise! I've barely touched the images I have dumped off the memory cards.

You didn't hear about the pre-second workshop freak accident either... it was not pleasant, but healing well now... Will send you a PM if needed.

Cheers,
Marc
09-29-2009, 07:18 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
We got out moneys worth from Mr. Thrifty as well - Damn thing was so mudcaked it was shaking at about 80mph on the highway back to Salt Lake.....

09-29-2009, 07:19 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
You didn't hear about the pre-second workshop freak accident either... it was not pleasant, but healing well now
how is the eye old wise one!
09-29-2009, 07:27 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
how is the eye old wise one!
Great, now I am Yoda...

I can see it now: "Jim, feel the force and let it become one with you... your landscape imagery will go up a notch..." "Don't get in front of Dave's fisheye lens or it will be posted on the internet..."

The eye is doing much, much better! It's extremely sensitive to anything floating in the air: dust, etc. and even food cooking! All in all, much better than Wed. night post trauma and sitting in emerg for 3.5 hours under bright lights last week...
09-29-2009, 07:30 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
can see it now: "Jim, feel the force and let it become one with you... your landscape imagery will go up a notch..." "Don't get in front of Dave's fisheye lens or it will be posted on the internet..."
You see you are the wise one. You know everything! Happy to hear the eye is doing better Marc. Cheers JIM

09-30-2009, 12:56 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

This should help explain it better Steve: the Burr Trail from Boulder, UT along HWY 12 to the Capitol Reef Park boundary is paved. It's another 19.8 miles before you reach the park boundary- then the pavement ends...

Boulder, UT --> Long Canyon, UT --> Capitol Reef Park boundary: View Larger Map

On the second workshop weekend, I did the full loop down the Burr Trail road switchback and headed north on Notom-Bullfrog road through Capitol Reef National Park. That is some switchback!!! I was in 1st gear all the way down driving a Jeep... took a few photos of it too...

Cheers,
Marc
Thanks for the clarification Marc. Your description matches those I just read on the Web. My reaction was based on a sign that was posted at the junction in Boulder when I was through the area a few years back. The sign promised terrible consequences for any passenger car that would dare enter the trail. We were driving a rented Chrysler 300 and decided that the warning applied to us. If I had known that a spectacular slot canyon was just a few miles away on easy pavement, I probably would have taken the side trip.

Probably a good thing we didn't though. Our reservations for that night were at Gouldings's in Monument Valley and we were going via Torrey, Hanksville, and Mexican Hat. It was a long, long, long way. The funny thing was that later that day we talked to a couple who had braved the Burr Trail all the way to Bullfrog only to find that the ferry was not running. They had to detour on the 276 back to Highway 95 and go the long way around.

Steve

(Memo to self...got to go back to Boulder and see this stuff for myself...)
10-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Steve, you were missed on the trip bud. Hope all is well. JIM
10-01-2009, 06:25 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Indeed, as Jim says - you were missed. Hope all is well!
10-01-2009, 06:48 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is a real nice image of a real big cave Jim, thanks for showing us.
10-01-2009, 08:25 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Indeed, as Jim says - you were missed. Hope all is well!
Things are good, but I am getting bored. I am getting some traction on the job search, but am thinking that maybe I need to do a two or three day road trip. There is new snow at Crater Lake and it is only about 6 hours away and I do have five rolls of Kodachrome left...

Steve
10-01-2009, 09:15 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
There is new snow at Crater Lake and it is only about 6 hours away and I do have five rolls of Kodachrome left...
Go for it Steve!!! would love to visit Crater Lake soon. I cover the area and I am in Portland every 6-8 weeks. JIM
10-01-2009, 09:15 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
That is a real nice image of a real big cave Jim, thanks for showing us.
Thanks Henrich. Always appreciate you commenting on my images. JIM
10-01-2009, 09:56 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Go for it Steve!!! would love to visit Crater Lake soon. I cover the area and I am in Portland every 6-8 weeks. JIM
Steve I will let you know next time I'm down that way maybe we can get together.

Jimbo next time you head that way maybe we could make it a long weekend my kid is going to school in Portland and it doesn't take much to spur Ronda on to making a trip down.