Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Show Me Your Bridge (Utah Workshop)!!
Posted By: Ole, 09-29-2009, 08:31 PM

I thought it would be fun if the participants in Marc's Utah work shop would hit each other with shots of the Hickman Bridge!

The rules are simple -

Only one photo per post.

You may reply to the most recent post, but with one photo only (per post). You may not reply to your own post. So we take turns, sort of randomly!

Let's go!

Here is my first entry - K10D, DA 12-24:

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Views: 4,183
10-01-2009, 05:31 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cool how many different angles we took of this rock bridge! well done guys. JIM

10-01-2009, 05:35 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I'm sure it must have been that Jim guy.
There you go again, blaming Jim for everything. It must to a family thing because Ronda was on my ass all the time!! Cheers. Really looking forward to seeing you guys on Saturday! Did I catch you off guard when I called today. JIM
10-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
There you go again, blaming Jim for everything. It must to a family thing because Ronda was on my ass all the time!! Cheers. Really looking forward to seeing you guys on Saturday! Did I catch you off guard when I called today. JIM
What a trip it was, and then a trip when you called, I was standing in a blast proof building which gets poor cell service at best, So out of the building I go into a environment that is so noisy that you can't hear. You can call me anytime you want Mr Canadian Pentax guy.

Thanks for calling. see you Saturday.
10-01-2009, 06:00 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
was standing in a blast proof building which gets poor cell service at best, So out of the building I go into a environment that is so noisy that you can't hear
Too funny John. Its my sales background to always check ahead on new phone numbers. I was trying to catch you off guard by calling you John the Pentax guy! See you Sat bud. JIM

10-01-2009, 07:06 PM   #20
Ole
Administrator

Original Poster
Here is a portrait of my K10D - just for scale as Marc emphasized again and again!

2/3rd of a stop underexposed, f/7.1 I think. Or was it f/8

As someone once said - the secret to photography is f/8 and to be there!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
10-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Trying to keep this thread going. JIM

10-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Now that's twice I hit the same image twice and in both cases it did not mean to do it.. [Come on you believe me don't you!] Here is the correct image. JIM

10-01-2009, 09:34 PM   #23
Veteran Member

OK Here is another one.

The day in the life of hickman bridge.

Anne getting a few shots over on the right hand side, Part of that 5% you don't see in the view finder.
10-01-2009, 10:24 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
OK, I recanted and grabbed a RAW file from our last morning on the Sept. 17th - 20th workshop...
Ok Marc!

I have looked at the crop of bridge shots so far and finally you posted the angle I would have shot! Pure power and well captured!

Steve
10-02-2009, 08:41 AM   #25
axl
Veteran Member

seems like you guys had some fun.
Nice shots btw

Peter
10-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #26
VAV

Nice thread and looks like everyone had fun. It is interesting to see the same formation showing up in slightly different colors on the various shots - was it due to different times of day / cloud color/ white balance / pp? For eg; see the difference between Ole's first photo and the next one.
10-03-2009, 07:42 AM   #27
Ole
Administrator

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VAV Quote
Nice thread and looks like everyone had fun. It is interesting to see the same formation showing up in slightly different colors on the various shots - was it due to different times of day / cloud color/ white balance / pp? For eg; see the difference between Ole's first photo and the next one.
I find that the 12-24 tends to give warmer colors. Also, I underexpose slightly for saturation. No pp on my photos other than enhancing contrast in ACR (slight S curve) and sharpening in Photoshop. Time of day also matters. I was in on the second workshop and we were up at the bridge quite early.
10-03-2009, 08:00 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ok Marc!

I have looked at the crop of bridge shots so far and finally you posted the angle I would have shot! Pure power and well captured!

Steve
Thanks Steve.

This shot is by far one of my favorites: albeit quickly chosen to post, I did spend quite a bit of time viewing and sampling the perspectives of and around the bridge. I'll often do this - just looking and walking around, not photographing. Obviously if the lighting or something is fleeting and/or spectacular but might soon depart, I'll not take my time!!

I really wanted to show how massive the arch really is, so perhaps that's why it appears to be a more compelling shot? There's a lot of stone there! It's very thick through that arch, no question.

I too underexpose slightly for better saturation (as Ole indicated above), but the CPL never hurts either!

Regards,
Marc
10-03-2009, 09:31 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Here is a slightly different angle yet again

Click on image twice full view

Should have underexposed here as well. The foreground is somewhat washed out.

Exif (smc PENTAX-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM)

Exposure: 0.008 sec (1/125)
Aperture: f/7.1
Focal Length: 18 mm
Exposure: +1.10
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: Off, Did not fire
10-04-2009, 07:15 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Dave, I really like this one. JIM