Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Winter's return
Posted By: scole, 10-04-2009, 03:26 PM

Having FINALLY received my order of Lee ND Grad filters, I was eager to put them to use. This past week brought the first snows of fall to the Cascades. Forecasts called for continued clouds and chance of snow but, as Saturday morning developed, Mount Baker remained visible. I decided to roll the dice and take my gear up to Heather Meadows at the end of the Mount Baker Highway.

Rather than join the other photographers at Picture Lake, I set out for the saddle that seperates the Bagley Lake basin from the Chain Lakes basin. At the start of the "magic hour," I found myself on the saddle with Mount Baker to my right and Mount Shuksan to my left.

This was one of the best sunsets I've been able to photograph in some time (easily surpassing last week's!). About the time I had decided to head back, the full moon briefly broke through the thickening clouds. A wonderful outing..

1. Fall color and winter snows (DA 55-300)

2. Approaching the saddle (DA 12-24)

3. Mount Shuksan (DA 12-24)

4. Mount Baker and Iceberg Lake below (DA 12-24)

5. Hadley Peak (DA 55-300)

6. Alpenglow on Nooksack Ridge (L) and Ruth Mountain (R) (DA 55-300)

7. Alpenglow on Mount Shuksan (DA 18-55)

8. Last rays of sunset (DA 12-24)

9. Glaciers of Mount Baker (DA 55-300)

10. Moonrise over Ruth Mountain (DA 18-55)

Thanks for looking..
Views: 2,911
10-05-2009, 09:35 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dammit Steve, just when I'm getting over your last set of Cascades pics makin' me homesick, you go and post another set that's even better... All great, but #4 is simply stunning. I 'd have that one on the wall as big as you can print it!

Jim

10-05-2009, 09:47 AM   #17
JMR
Veteran Member

Some nice work. You really captured some wonderful light.

JMR
10-05-2009, 10:51 PM   #18

Original Poster
Thanks for all the additional comments. It's rewarding to hear that your photos resonate with other people (and especially photographers). I'm always interested in learning which photos people a drawn to because it always surprises me!
10-06-2009, 05:18 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A great series - thankyou for sharing that. You Northern Hemisphere folk really have access to some stunning scenery

#4, #6 and #8 are my favourites

Cheers