Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
New Portrait
Posted By: AlmightyPentax, 10-04-2009, 06:39 PM

Haven't posed any pictures in a while. Here's a portrait I did today of my wife.

Views: 1,806
10-04-2009, 10:38 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A candid portrait that leaves me wishing the face was sharper.
? a hint of FF? (cf. blades of grass just in front of subject).
Very nice casual pose.
10-05-2009, 03:15 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I wish it were too. I was having a bit of trouble with the lens on my k10d. Still not sure if it's me or the lens...
10-05-2009, 05:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

What lens?

I quite like the shot.
I'm not exactly qualified on portraits - but IMO the foreground grass detracts slightly. Maybe crop it out a little?

10-05-2009, 05:41 AM   #5

Original Poster
It's a DA* 55. I'm going to do some lens testing this coming weekend. Pretty much every shot I've looked at from this weekedn has a bit of FF.

I hope that's what it is... Otherwise I may be back for some focusing tips
10-05-2009, 05:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AlmightyPentax Quote
It's a DA* 55. I'm going to do some lens testing this coming weekend. Pretty much every shot I've looked at from this weekedn has a bit of FF.

I hope that's what it is... Otherwise I may be back for some focusing tips
if your shooting at 1.4 the depth of field is very small (thin) maybe your just OOF

I just looked again and the grass in front of her hands is sharp as, i agree, you should do a focusing test
10-25-2009, 02:02 PM   #7

Original Poster
So I got a LensAlign tool this past week and adjusted my cameras for my lens (the new k7 was pretty much spot on).

I wanted to retake the shot and get it right this time. So here's the portrait redo:

It's a little tough to tell with the small size. But here's a crop:

I think it's much better that the first one that was pretty much soft all over. I'm happier with the results.

10-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well it's sharp - and the combination has produced a fine portrait.
My only suggestion for next time is to get a better balance of light - here her face is well lit but not her neck or below, whereas the grassy background is very bright and slightly distracts the viewer from the beauty of the subject.

Hard to control in ambient conditions, but choosing the setting (like having the background grass in a shady area, perhaps with a touch of off-camera fill flash) would do wonders to the overall result. Then there's also what you can do in PP - burning the distracting background elements and dodging the areas that need to be brought out - these methods have limitations, however.
10-25-2009, 04:16 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
What lens?

I quite like the shot.
I'm not exactly qualified on portraits - but IMO the foreground grass detracts slightly. Maybe crop it out a little?
Pretty lady! I agree on grass and cropping suggestion. Nice shot.
10-25-2009, 05:03 PM   #10

This shot looks better, although you didn't nail focus, most times it works better for beauty shots.

You could have used a soft white reflector on the ground in front of her (chin reflector) to open up the shadows on her neck, under her eyes, and puts a sparkle on the teeth. This way you can keep the "natural light" feel to your lighting.
10-25-2009, 05:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Well it's sharp - and the combination has produced a fine portrait.
My only suggestion for next time is to get a better balance of light - here her face is well lit but not her neck or below, whereas the grassy background is very bright and slightly distracts the viewer from the beauty of the subject.

Hard to control in ambient conditions, but choosing the setting (like having the background grass in a shady area, perhaps with a touch of off-camera fill flash) would do wonders to the overall result. Then there's also what you can do in PP - burning the distracting background elements and dodging the areas that need to be brought out - these methods have limitations, however.
Adding to what Ash said,maybe also getting someone to hold a reflector to bounce the natural light back on your wife's face.I prefer the tones and colour of the first shot you did,but yeh,a little to much unmowed grass in the foreground.Just keep on practicing.It all makes perfect!