Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Saying Goodbye (to old friends) Is Hard To Do
Posted By: Sirfishalot, 10-07-2009, 05:40 PM

Greetings Pentaxians,
The time has finally come for me to part ways with my old trusted friend - the FA*250-600/5.6 (aka The Bling Lens). I really was very reluctant to let her go, but since most of my supertelephoto work is now done with another system she just was not getting the use that she deserved and I couldn't justify have her sit around as a collectors item.
The lens has served me very well since I aquirred it a couple years back. It was actually right around that time that my Mom passed away and I can remember well an outing with it shortly thereafter that helped ease the pain of the loss. The lens has provided me with some great images and I didn't ever think I would be willing to part with it. It was a tough decision, but I think I made the right choice especially since I am quite certain the new owner, your very own moderator here -Marc Langille will take very good care of it and put it to its best use. Marc will be thrilled to receive it and I look foward to the fine images he will generate with it.
My Pentax gear has been trimmed substantially, but I'm still hanging onto a few lengendary SMC pieces (even though I currently have no body to shoot them on) for the time being, hopeful that I won't be moving totally away from the Pentax brand.
So here is just a small farewell sample of the images the lens has provided me that I thought I would share with you all. And a huge shout out to Marc Langille who is a great guy and well deserving to be the proud new owner of this lens.
Enjoy.

Thanks,
JayT

Views: 2,249
10-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
jay, your work is spectacular, the memories priceless.... thanks for sharing with us...
great glass, something i hope someday, to have... a divorce would be more expensive however... lol..... dave m
10-07-2009, 06:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
These are AMAZING.
10-07-2009, 06:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jay, having seen a lot of Marc's work, and based on the high quality of the shots you posted, Marc and the lens should be a great fit!! Be glad the "Bling Lens" will live on!!

10-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unbelievable brilliance.
These have got to be some of the best wildlike images I have seen.
You have put this awesome lens to great use, and good to see it passed onto another wildlife seeker. Marc all the best with it.
The images here are all just so stunning and detailed, complemented with a most beautiful bokeh - one I have not seen or admired so much before. #7 is simply amazing.
Contrast, colour and overall rendition is unrivalled IMO.
Gets my votes for best wildlife pics around...
Thanks for sharing them.
10-07-2009, 07:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Jay,

I remember some of these images from before and love them - so simple and beautiful! I've been contemplating a longer lens for some time: although the FA* 300/2.8 is a beautiful, sharp lens even with my TC's, I have wanted a true Pentax super telephoto in the 600mm range. That GBH portrait of it's head going through the grass was taken at 590mm. Framing, cropping and composition is now within your hands, not the computer.

Jay and I met up literally almost a year ago and he was so gracious and kind enough to let me test and shoot with the lens for 2 hours. He's got a wonderful area to shoot in and he shared his sort of private oasis where many birds of all kinds congregate. This is without a doubt a true treasure trove of wildlife and he shared that with me = thank you sir. We shared quality photographic time together and talked over late lunch about several things.

Regarding the FA* 250-600/5.6: I've never seen anything like it in terms of such a useful focal length range. I forgot I could zoom at first, being so used to primes... Jay's reluctance is completely understandable so his post is most heartfelt - we became photographer friends and I am glad he felt ownership was passed to someone capable of making it shine. I am not sure how long that will take to really show what the lens can do, but rest assured I'll take good care of it, no question. It's a big, heavy lens and I already have a Wimberley MK II head ready to go. Just need to buy a Gitzo 3541XLS or 5541LS and I'm set. All I need is a suitable backpack to carry that big beast.

The hardest part is now the wait, despite having it air shipped. It's a 32 pound package with the lens, trunk, filters, etc. I know some folks in nature forums might be skeptical of my gear choice, but I hope I can show that it can be done. Thank you for passing the torch to me Jay! I hope that it should continue to burn brightly with images I take, the images that show how beautiful nature can be!!

Also, a heartfelt thank you to my wife Sharon: you supported me throughout with regards to all of my FA* lens purchases. You kept the faith in my photographic abilities and my images a as I progress = a wonderful woman!

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 10-07-2009 at 07:36 PM.
10-07-2009, 08:09 PM   #7

I agree with Ash, these are outstanding photos. Love them all, especially 3,7 and 8. Fantastic captures.

10-08-2009, 05:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Stunning shots what a send off
10-08-2009, 01:17 PM   #9

Original Poster
Re: Saying Goodbye ( to Old Friends) is Hard To Do

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
jay, your work is spectacular, the memories priceless.... thanks for sharing with us...
great glass, something i hope someday, to have... a divorce would be more expensive however... lol..... dave m
Thanks Dave,
Just buy your wife a diamond ring at the same time you get your lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeW Quote
These are AMAZING.
Thank you Mike.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
Jay, having seen a lot of Marc's work, and based on the high quality of the shots you posted, Marc and the lens should be a great fit!! Be glad the "Bling Lens" will live on!!
Thanks Chip.
I made Marc promise that he would shoot the lens handheld only for the first month straight.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Unbelievable brilliance.
These have got to be some of the best wildlike images I have seen.
You have put this awesome lens to great use, and good to see it passed onto another wildlife seeker. Marc all the best with it.
The images here are all just so stunning and detailed, complemented with a most beautiful bokeh - one I have not seen or admired so much before. #7 is simply amazing.
Contrast, colour and overall rendition is unrivalled IMO.
Gets my votes for best wildlife pics around...
Thanks for sharing them.
Thanks for the kind words Ash. What I will definitely miss most about this lens is the way it renders a scene. There's something fairly unique about the SMC bokeh.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Hi Jay,

I remember some of these images from before and love them - so simple and beautiful! I've been contemplating a longer lens for some time: although the FA* 300/2.8 is a beautiful, sharp lens even with my TC's, I have wanted a true Pentax super telephoto in the 600mm range. That GBH portrait of it's head going through the grass was taken at 590mm. Framing, cropping and composition is now within your hands, not the computer.

Jay and I met up literally almost a year ago and he was so gracious and kind enough to let me test and shoot with the lens for 2 hours. He's got a wonderful area to shoot in and he shared his sort of private oasis where many birds of all kinds congregate. This is without a doubt a true treasure trove of wildlife and he shared that with me = thank you sir. We shared quality photographic time together and talked over late lunch about several things.

Regarding the FA* 250-600/5.6: I've never seen anything like it in terms of such a useful focal length range. I forgot I could zoom at first, being so used to primes... Jay's reluctance is completely understandable so his post is most heartfelt - we became photographer friends and I am glad he felt ownership was passed to someone capable of making it shine. I am not sure how long that will take to really show what the lens can do, but rest assured I'll take good care of it, no question. It's a big, heavy lens and I already have a Wimberley MK II head ready to go. Just need to buy a Gitzo 3541XLS or 5541LS and I'm set. All I need is a suitable backpack to carry that big beast.

The hardest part is now the wait, despite having it air shipped. It's a 32 pound package with the lens, trunk, filters, etc. I know some folks in nature forums might be skeptical of my gear choice, but I hope I can show that it can be done. Thank you for passing the torch to me Jay! I hope that it should continue to burn brightly with images I take, the images that show how beautiful nature can be!!

Also, a heartfelt thank you to my wife Sharon: you supported me throughout with regards to all of my FA* lens purchases. You kept the faith in my photographic abilities and my images a as I progress = a wonderful woman!

Regards,
Marc
Thanks Marc and congrats on the new aquisition. It makes it a little bit more easy to part with knowing it will be in your capable hands.

QuoteOriginally posted by dankuno Quote
I agree with Ash, these are outstanding photos. Love them all, especially 3,7 and 8. Fantastic captures.
Thanks Dan.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Stunning shots what a send off
Thank you Dan

JayT
10-08-2009, 04:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Must be tough parting but I do agree with you that your lens is in great hands. Beautiful images. Thank you for sharing. Cheers JIM
10-09-2009, 04:58 PM   #11

An amazing series, a great testement to the photographer and the lens.

No.7 is probably the best bird image I have ever seen, absolute perfection.
10-09-2009, 05:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Outstanding work! Possibly the best wildlife series that I've seen.
10-10-2009, 07:10 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Beautiful images Jay and thanks for posting. I believe Marc is right in saying the FL of the lens is perfect. The IQ is outsatnding but of course having capable hands helps.
Wish I coudl have borrowed it for a couple hours ( since we are so close geographiclly ) but then it would have only led to long nights of sleeplness. Of course I would have to figure out which bank was best to rob also. BTW, how much does a lens like this cost if you can find one?
Good thing is, you have that range covered even if it is another system, so I am sure you will continue to produce outsanding photos.
I know Marc will be forever grateful that you let this go.
Thanks again for posting
10-10-2009, 07:42 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Oren,

I am very excited about getting the lens - it's a brilliant FL, no question.

Jay is also VERY fortunate to have such a diverse yet populous area where he took me - I am jealous! I've not seen that many birds in such a small area before and they are used to humans in proximity to them. That is a huge advantage for the photographer! Divulging it's location is Jay's prerogative, not mine...

Regards,
Marc