Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Another Sierra Mountain Panorama (with a bit of fall color)...
Posted By: heliphoto, 10-08-2009, 07:51 PM

The mountains northwest of June Lake. Nine portrait orientation shots were stitched with hugin for this pano, the full dimensions are 15,088 x 2905 px.

Click the image below to see a 4,674 x 900 px version...

Comments, critique, and questions are welcome .
Views: 2,928
10-08-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nicely done Josh. That is one beautiful area. JIM
10-08-2009, 09:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I love a good Pano Josh and this is certainly one was this veritical or horizontal ?Hand held or tripod ? Whatever the method the results speaks volume.
10-08-2009, 09:42 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very good result.
Colours stand out beautifully.
Well done.

10-08-2009, 10:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@Jim - Thanks man. It is an amazing area.

@Ash - Thank you. Glad to know you liked it . Thanks for commenting...

@Dave - standby - a bit of detailed description of the process follows...
10-08-2009, 10:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
I love a good Pano Josh and this is certainly one was this veritical or horizontal ?Hand held or tripod ? Whatever the method the results speaks volume.
Thanks Dave - I'm assuming the volumes it speaks are good? ... Here's some details about the process I used - I'm really a novice at this whole pano thing, so please don't take this description as any sort of authoritative treatise on panoramas, and if anyone out there sees flaws in my technique (in addition to the ones I point out myself), please speak up .

This image is made up of 9 vertical (portrait) orientation shots from the Tamron 70-200mm at 70mm. The lens was tripod mounted using the lens mount (which I think is technically the wrong way to go for panos since it will introduce more parallax as the sensor moves WRT the pivot pt.) and the panning was done with the panning base of the tripod head (the Cullmann you may have?). The challenge with panning with the tripod head is that if your tripod isn't level, you'll pan a diagonal slice rather than a horizontal pan... I don't even have a level , but I've found I can get the pod fairly accurately leveled by just walking around it, adjusting each leg in turn to level the base of the tripod head by eye ("I think it's level"). Then I swing the camera through a few test pans watching to see if I can detect any vertical movement...

While shooting, I tend to try to overlap each shot with the previous one by about 1/3 of the frame or a bit less (I have no idea if this is the right way to do this - I should probably read a book or a website on shooting panos , but this seems to work). To do this quickly (fairly important when the clouds are blowing around and the light is changing rapidly etc.) I pick a point that's about a third of the way in on the side of the frame I'm panning toward (let's say the right, since I seem to work from left to right)... Hopefully there's something identifiable in this area (represented by the green area in the diagram below) - I pick this point - a rock for instance, and I pan until it's in the equivalent area on the left of the frame (the orange) - this way the new shot includes the same rock, and everything left of that is in the last shot too, but the right two thirds are new. Then I lock the panning knob and fire the shot (using the remote release or the two-sec. timer when I'm smart). Once you're sure your pan is level, and you've practiced this a few times, the actual shots can be hammered out pretty quick.

My hasty diagrams...

----------or----------

I tend to favor using a fixed exposure setting in manual mode, but I suppose if the pano will have a very large dynamic range, using an auto exposure mode might actually work out - I'll have to try it sometime.

For stitching I'm using Hugin, which is free (open source), powerful, and confusing, but the latest release is much more usable than the last one was for me... I've found that even if the program automatically finds matching points for you ("control points" hugin calls 'em) it's important to visually confirm that it's correctly identified the right points in each image. In some cases I've hand matched points for up to twenty images - it took a while but turned out nice. This pano had it's points generated automatically using the panomatic plugin, and all the points were right on, so I'll be trying that setup again.
10-09-2009, 09:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks for the explanation, and that's a lovely pano.
I checked out the larger version and the detail was great!
Seemed to give a good sense of the scene.

cheers

10-09-2009, 11:21 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Wow, gorgeous pic... That really turned out well!

Jim
10-09-2009, 01:14 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Arresting image, Josh. Very well done.

Jer
10-09-2009, 02:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@Jason - your welcome. Thanks for looking and commenting... The detail is even better at three times the size, but it's a big file .

@Jim & Jer - Thanks!
10-09-2009, 02:37 PM   #11
JMR
Veteran Member

Yes, this pano and the mountian scene is very appealing.

JMR
10-09-2009, 08:45 PM   #12
Site Supporter

I love big blowup panos. Beautiful work.
10-09-2009, 08:46 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful pano. Excellent work.
10-10-2009, 03:22 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"I should probably read a book or a website on shooting panos"

You just wrote it Nice photo nice explanation!
10-10-2009, 07:32 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@JMR, Lee, Frank - Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
"I should probably read a book or a website on shooting panos"

You just wrote it Nice photo nice explanation!
I appreciate it Dave , based on some of the pano pivot rigs I've seen and the terminology I run into in the stitching software, I've only just scratched the surface (and of course to get really into it, there's a whole new set of gear to buy too ).