Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Bird Shooting with the DA 12-24 !
Posted By: daacon, 10-08-2009, 09:06 PM

A rare double post for me (Posted these in the POTW thread as well) - I just like 'em so there. haha

Ahhh the catagory gave it away. Also used the 540 Flash and Gary Fong Lightsphere - My inpression on the difusser is it does a good job, but it's heavy and awkward to carry in a bag and it's overpriced. They have one that collapses now that would at least be eaiser to carry.

Here a few of a what I call a Bev of Beauties - my daughter and some of her friends (2 from out of town) heading out to Olive Garden for supper and then some nightclubs I suspect - I pitty the poor boys that get in their way

Click on image for larger view

Views: 2,884
10-08-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice captures of these beautiful birds.
A lot less shy than other birds... (good title to get people to take a look, mate! )

The distortion's obvious in the last one, but great results - that lightsphere does a great job - shadowing is much less pronounced.
Well done Dave.
10-09-2009, 01:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I certainly enjoy spotting new bird.PM your address so that I can shoot some unique wildlife in your neck of the woods

cheers
10-09-2009, 05:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Nice captures of these beautiful birds.
A lot less shy than other birds... (good title to get people to take a look, mate! )

The distortion's obvious in the last one, but great results - that lightsphere does a great job - shadowing is much less pronounced.
Well done Dave.
Thanks Ash I am relatively happy with these as well. And yeah I figured the title would up the view count if nothing else

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
I certainly enjoy spotting new bird.PM your address so that I can shoot some unique wildlife in your neck of the woods
cheers
hah thanks Ivan did I mention I have several Miken, Mizuno and other bats in the garage ? All are spoken for I believe (not sure on one) it was a girl’s night out with a high school reunion of sorts. I head the door open really late last night (more like this morning) so I can assume it will be a loooooooooong day for some today

10-09-2009, 01:20 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shots, buddy. I never get indoor flash shots that are worth much - guess I don't work at it enough.

Jer
10-09-2009, 01:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Beautiful birds there Dave. Looks like the deffuser worked well. JIM
10-09-2009, 01:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I imagine these young ladies are skinnier in person, given the propensity of a wide rectilinear lens to distort at the edges of the frame. A wise subject would recognize the lens and head for the centre of the group shots Fun shots!

10-09-2009, 01:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Great shots, buddy. I never get indoor flash shots that are worth much - guess I don't work at it enough.
Jer
Thanks Jer neither do I , I sometimes wonder why I bought the fasl for the amount I use it - but sometimes you just get lucky.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Beautiful birds there Dave. Looks like the deffuser worked well. JIM
Thansk Jimbo see ya soon.

QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
I imagine these young ladies are skinnier in person, given the propensity of a wide rectilinear lens to distort at the edges of the frame. A wise subject would recognize the lens and head for the centre of the group shots Fun shots!
haah thanks I think you are calling them phat right ? Knowing these ladies if you are suggesting otherwise I would run for the hills (I meant to put on the DA* 16-50 they were in a hurry and I grabbed the worng lens)

Last edited by daacon; 10-09-2009 at 02:06 PM.
10-10-2009, 11:57 AM   #9
and
Veteran Member

I clicked to see this because I was curious what kind of bird shots one could get with an ulta wide zoom, now I know. not a normal lens for people but sometimes u need it when in crampy indoors and the first two turned out very well but the last one has some serious distortion problems, especially the second girl from the left seems to have hit the bad spot probably by leaning a bit backwards. I think here it would have been more pleasing to shoot from a higher position instead of being lower shooting up
10-10-2009, 02:21 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dave, I must admit that you got me with the "bird" name but than again these are age wise just "chicks". In any case very nice images of rather attractive young ladies.
10-10-2009, 07:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
I clicked to see this because I was curious what kind of bird shots one could get with an ulta wide zoom, now I know. not a normal lens for people but sometimes u need it when in crampy indoors and the first two turned out very well but the last one has some serious distortion problems, especially the second girl from the left seems to have hit the bad spot probably by leaning a bit backwards. I think here it would have been more pleasing to shoot from a higher position instead of being lower shooting up
Thanks and you & d. dradley got it right , I know the DA 12-24 is not a great portrait lens , but it's what I had one and the girls were in a rush Dad ...come'on take the picture !! haha good point on shooting down instead of up.

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Dave, I must admit that you got me with the "bird" name but than again these are age wise just "chicks". In any case very nice images of rather attractive young ladies.
Thanks Heinrich indeed a young gaggel of girls