Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Photographs From Cosmic Gate
Posted By: Christopher M.W.T, 10-09-2009, 06:42 AM

Cosmic Gate, a German Techno duo performed at a local club lastnight and I was lucky enough to to photos for the organiser.

I was armed with my K7, a sigma 17-70mm (which I borrowed from my work) the 540gz flash and a lambency light diffuser. First time I ever used this setup. I shot with iso around 400-800, f5-5.6 & shutter speed around 0.5" High ISO performance of the K7 that night was really impressive, I have no complaints.

I spent the night shooting in full manual (flash and camera) and spend most of the time using the flash off camera. Very happy to say that the off-camera flash triggered flawlessly 99% of the time regardless of which angles I used the flash at, very impressed

Only complaint I have is that the low light AF performance of the K7 was a tad twitchy, there were times it just didn't lock and take the shot, however when it did work it worked superbly with all shots being in focus and very sharp.

Also VERY importantly the battery life, well I shot from 10:30pm till about 3am with almost no break, in that time the battery meter on the K7 didn't so much as drop one bar. Even after snapping around 600 or so shots.

Overally K7 passed a major test for me, all the other photographers were armed with Canons lol.

Link to the collection of photos are here
COSMIC GATE @ 4PLAY GEELONG - a set on Flickr

Some select shots from the night.

Attached Images

Views: 3,118
10-09-2009, 06:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And some more I want to share....
Attached Images

10-09-2009, 06:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And some more photos from the night
Attached Images

10-09-2009, 02:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not a single comment???

10-09-2009, 03:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm interested in the technique used here, I don't use my flash for anything more exotic than a little bit of fill or bounce flash for a portrait.

What are the flash settings? Is the shutter open for about half a second to capture the flashing lights and other ambience, then the flash fires at the end of the frame to capture the portrait?

I like them, would like to try some shots like this.
10-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
They're great! I'm really tempted to try this, but haven't quite found the place (orthe guts, for that matter) yet... Congrats!!
10-09-2009, 09:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I used the flash off camera most of the time with full manual keeping the power setting from 1/8 to 1/32 depending on the situation. Obviously I kept the shutter speed low to pick up the ambient light and to get the weird lighting effects.

From time to time I used PTTL without the diffuser and was VERY pleased with the results, I know people complain about it but I found it was extremely accurate.

Definately off camera flash though worked best IMHO but you just need to be weary of how close it is to the subject.

The diffuser makes a huge difference especially for $30AUD.

I shot everything in JPEG at 10mp, although next time I might just shoot at 6mp as the photos end up resized anyway.
10-10-2009, 07:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Flacosaurio Quote
They're great! I'm really tempted to try this, but haven't quite found the place (orthe guts, for that matter) yet... Congrats!!
Why do you need the guts? lol Just do it

Throw yourself into the snake pit, its the ONLY way to learn!

10-10-2009, 08:37 AM   #9
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great shots of the clubbing scene. I like Cosmic Gate. Their mix cd Back 2 Back Vol. 2 is incredible.
10-11-2009, 08:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Great shots of the clubbing scene. I like Cosmic Gate. Their mix cd Back 2 Back Vol. 2 is incredible.
Their pretty nice guys!

They basically flew into Melbourne then played here in Geelong, went back to the airport to fly to Perth lol.
10-12-2009, 12:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots. Low light performance and AF seemed to work out well for you.
BTW, what flash are you using? Are you just hand holding it and using the pop up as the master?

cheers
mike
09-03-2010, 07:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
Nice shots. Low light performance and AF seemed to work out well for you.
BTW, what flash are you using? Are you just hand holding it and using the pop up as the master?

cheers
mike

AF540GZ using the K-7 as wireless controller.