Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A few shots from this Weekend in Charleston, SC
Posted By: Ed in GA, 05-28-2007, 08:07 PM

All shot with the FA 24-90 f/3.5-4.5.

Last edited by Ed in GA; 06-05-2007 at 08:18 AM.
Views: 1,954
05-28-2007, 08:24 PM   #2

Hi Eddy,

Is there something specific that you did not like about the lens? The photographs look fine, esp. at the posted size. As far as optical properties go nothing particularly alarming nor exceptional, which was my conclusion about this lens.

The photographs of the Custom House and the red shed are really nice. The first two could perhaps be enhanced with a slight boost to the contrast curve.

Nikhil
05-29-2007, 01:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Eddy, the lens seems OK to me. You do have a way with architecture! Love the Customs house and the modern building above it. And that tall thin steeple is a great shot too. To echo Nikhil what didn't you like about the lens? Not sharp enough? Also what in the world is that purple thing? It looks sorta like some sort of jelly fish but the wall and leaves give lie to that.
Thanks for posting and haven't seen you in a while, welcome back.

NaCl(they sure look like tentacles to me...betchya it's poisonous!)H2O
05-29-2007, 01:31 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Also what in the world is that purple thing? It looks sorta like some sort of jelly fish but the wall and leaves give lie to that.

NaCl(they sure look like tentacles to me...betchya it's poisonous!)H2O
It's a passionflower (Passion flower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) of some kind.

Nikhil

05-29-2007, 01:43 PM   #5
Ed in GA

Thanks Saltwater and Nikhil.

We were wondering ourselves just what that flower is.

I don't know about the lens. That's the first time I've used it on a shoot and things just never did look, or feel, right when I was shooting.

I'll take it on the next outing and see if I feel better about it afterwards.

One thing, it is virtually impossible to do manual focus as the focus ring has an extremely short throw. Never felt like I got it quite right so I used AF for most of the shots.
05-29-2007, 03:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Eddy, I don't see any thing wrong with that lens unless that there is an operational issue that you don't like.

I took the liberty and gave three of the images a quick make over, hope that you don't mind. I'll leave them up for a few days and than take them down.

IMGP1812a.jpg photo - Heinrich Lohmann photos at pbase.com

IMGP1738a.jpg photo - Heinrich Lohmann photos at pbase.com

IMGP1699a.jpg photo - Heinrich Lohmann photos at pbase.com

Take care, Heinrich
05-29-2007, 03:46 PM   #7
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Eddy, I don't see any thing wrong with that lens unless that there is an operational issue that you don't like.

I took the liberty and gave three of the images a quick make over, hope that you don't mind. I'll leave them up for a few days and than take them down.

IMGP1812a.jpg photo - Heinrich Lohmann photos at pbase.com

IMGP1738a.jpg photo - Heinrich Lohmann photos at pbase.com

IMGP1699a.jpg photo - Heinrich Lohmann photos at pbase.com

Take care, Heinrich
I never mind anyone doing touch up on my photos. Feel free anytime.

In most cases, except for a little bit of cropping when needed, I do very, very little post processing.

If I ever get up the nerve to switch to shooting RAW, I may do more PP.

As far as the lens goes, it could be that I have just become accustomed to shooting with the 16-45 and this one produces a little bit different result.

05-29-2007, 04:10 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Eddie,
I don't see anything wrong with the lens either. I would venture to say a little PP would make some of the shots stand out. I think Heinrich did a wonderful job of the ones I thought may be a little lacking in color. but the clarity of the lens and the way you posed the shots there is nothing wrong. In fact it is very nice work.

Get bold my friend and shoot RAW theres a whole new world to open up.
05-29-2007, 05:38 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EddyinGA Quote
I never mind anyone doing touch up on my photos. Feel free anytime.

In most cases, except for a little bit of cropping when needed, I do very, very little post processing.

If I ever get up the nerve to switch to shooting RAW, I may do more PP.

As far as the lens goes, it could be that I have just become accustomed to shooting with the 16-45 and this one produces a little bit different result.
Eddy, I shoot everything in Raw and it works very good for me but you do not have to shoot in Raw to do PP. On your three images I spent less than five minutes in total, now keep in mind that it is a lot easier to work with the original .jpg than one allready reduced for the web. Just give it a try, you'll be amazed at what you can do.

Take care, Heinrich