Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

2009 National Equality March, Washington, DC
Posted By: MRRiley, 10-12-2009, 03:42 PM

By way of a personal "photojournalistic" assignment I took the opportunity to shoot the National Equality March in downtown Washington, DC. The march started at McPherson Square, proceeded past the White House, then went down Pennsylvania Ave to the U.S. Capital.

K20D & BIGMA

K10D & DA16-45mm f4

K10D & DA16-45mm f4

K10D & DA16-45mm f4 - Camera mounted on monopod with 2 sec timer set. Raised the rig to get higher POV.

K20D & BIGMA

K10D & DA16-45mm f4

K10D & DA16-45mm f4 - Yes, that IS Lady Gaga...

K10D & DA16-45mm f4

K20D & BIGMA

K10D & DA16-45mm f4 - Camera mounted on monopod with 2 sec timer set. Raised the rig to get higher POV.

B&W conversion of the previous shot...
Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 10-14-2009 at 06:43 AM. Reason: added B&W version of West Lawn Overview
Views: 2,911
10-14-2009, 05:40 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
oooooooo nice!
LOL Mel... I thought you'd like that conversion.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Perfect. Reminds me of when I was in college in the '60's.

Jer
Thanks again for the suggestion Jer. I think it came out rather well.

QuoteOriginally posted by LSPhotography Quote
I would have to agree these are great photo journalism shots, Love the shots up close with the crowd, also love the shots with the mono pod held above your head. I think that would have been a lot of fun to be there with a camera.
Thanks. It was a trip getting in the middle of the action. And there were about a gazzilion photographers on hand.

Mike

10-16-2009, 07:38 PM   #17
Damn Brit

This is really good work Mike. From an image point of view, you did great work with the colours. From a journalistic point of view, I think some more conversions would be a good idea. For an outsider looking in, the bright colours that the LGBT community chooses to use unfortunately changes the feel of what they are marching for. In one respect they are celebrating their lifestyle but the march had another message and the colours give an impression of a parade rather than a march.
We both know that B&W conveys a timeless feel and adds drama but in this case it would serve that extra purpose of setting the tone of what was going on.
One suggestion I have is to convert #8 and use some PS magic to superimpose the statement on the building onto one of the more colourful images (maybe the one with the rainbow flag front and centre).

Last edited by Damn Brit; 10-17-2009 at 02:20 AM.
10-17-2009, 09:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mike, always enjoy your photos and this is another great series. I love the last image. JIM
10-18-2009, 08:32 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice series Mike - the people sure look passionate about the cause. Love the crowd shots.

10-18-2009, 05:45 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Well documented Mike.

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote

???

Mike
Little Britain may not have made it to your TV screen yet.

Only gay in the village
10-18-2009, 06:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

you got it mike
10-19-2009, 05:01 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
This is really good work Mike. From an image point of view, you did great work with the colours. From a journalistic point of view, I think some more conversions would be a good idea. For an outsider looking in, the bright colours that the LGBT community chooses to use unfortunately changes the feel of what they are marching for. In one respect they are celebrating their lifestyle but the march had another message and the colours give an impression of a parade rather than a march.
We both know that B&W conveys a timeless feel and adds drama but in this case it would serve that extra purpose of setting the tone of what was going on.
One suggestion I have is to convert #8 and use some PS magic to superimpose the statement on the building onto one of the more colourful images (maybe the one with the rainbow flag front and centre).
Thangs Gary! I really appreciate the insightful comments and we are thinking along the same lines. I will be doing more conversions as time allows and I love the idea for superimposing the 1st Amendment text over another shot (kicking myself for not waiting for a thick crowd for that particular shot!!!)

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Mike, always enjoy your photos and this is another great series. I love the last image. JIM
Thanks Jim! It does convey the mood well.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nice series Mike - the people sure look passionate about the cause. Love the crowd shots.
Thanks Dave. It was fun getting in close with the 16-45mm.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike L Quote
Well documented Mike.

Little Britain may not have made it to your TV screen yet.

Only gay in the village
Thanks Mike! Yeah I've missed that bit. Funny as all get out though! Thanks for the link.

Mike
10-19-2009, 09:08 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Oh Mike ,good work! I like the B&W conversion,it just like a film.

10-20-2009, 05:53 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kokolo Quote
Oh Mike ,good work! I like the B&W conversion,it just like a film.
Thanks kokolo!