Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Road Racing at Road Atlanta - WERA Grand National Finals
Posted By: emilf, 10-12-2009, 06:18 PM

I went to Road Atlanta this weekend to take some photos and I'm still working on going through them. I thought I'd post a few just to show that you can take sports shots with a Pentax.

All photos were taken with a k20d and Sigma 50-500mm (Bigma).

Views: 5,604
10-12-2009, 06:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Good stuff. I need to hit up one of the MotoGP races at Laguna Seca one of these days. But since I'm not too into motorcycles it's tough for me to spend over $100 on tickets for an hour or so of racing.
10-12-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Brilliant sharp captures.
Seeing more and more motorsports being captured with Pentax!
Awesome.
Love the first airborne shot!
10-12-2009, 08:00 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Toshi Quote
Good stuff. I need to hit up one of the MotoGP races at Laguna Seca one of these days. But since I'm not too into motorcycles it's tough for me to spend over $100 on tickets for an hour or so of racing.
Thanks. Yeah - MotoGP is the big leagues... WERA is mostly amateurs so entry for a whole weekend is usually only $25-35.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Brilliant sharp captures.
Seeing more and more motorsports being captured with Pentax!
Awesome.
Love the first airborne shot!
Thanks. That's Cory West during practice for the 4 hour Endurance race. The Vesrah team just dominates the Endurance series and Cory also races in the AMA Pro Series.

I just recently upgraded first the body from a *istD to a k20d and then the primary lens from a Viv S1 70-210mm to an Adaptall 80-200mm F2.8 and now finally the Bigma. It's been a bit of an adjustment and I've had a couple of disappointing outings but it seems like I'm finally getting used to the new equipment.

10-12-2009, 08:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice Shots!! I did my first track day this year man its so much fun! I can't wait to bring my good camera down next trip. What aperture/shutter combo were you using?
10-12-2009, 08:57 PM   #6

Hey nice to see another Atlantan on here! I've yet to make it to Road Atlanta, I'm part of the local Audi group and they were just at the track for the Petit LeMans.

Nice shots, can't be a Pentax.
10-12-2009, 09:10 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.r.brown Quote
Hey nice to see another Atlantan on here! I've yet to make it to Road Atlanta, I'm part of the local Audi group and they were just at the track for the Petit LeMans.

Nice shots, can't be a Pentax.
It's a really nice track. With a long enough lens you can get some cool shots even without a photo pass. Actually in turn 6 and 7 you really only need 70-100mm.

Even with a Bigma attached you can't help but feel a little inadequate standing next to someone with a huge white Canon/Nikon lens - but the proof is in the photos!

I would like to have a faster AF system and higher burst rate though.

10-13-2009, 02:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Brilliant shots Emil. You have indeed mastered the gear! Question about the 2 shots of the riders getting air... Was there a hump or something on that part of the track that the riders were hitting intentionally?

Mike
10-13-2009, 07:46 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I get a big kick out of the third one; all are colorful, sharp and very well done.

Jer
10-13-2009, 08:25 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I get a big kick out of the third one; all are colorful, sharp and very well done.

Jer
Thanks. Yeah - Opie (Chris "Opie" Caylor) likes to ride hard and give the spectators (and photographers) a good show. After I just barely missed a shot of him being airborne (like the first one, just a little higher off the ground) I promised him that I'd get him a poster worthy shot and I think he did what he could to deliver.

He used to race AMA, but took a break to be able to spend time with his family after they had their first child, but is getting back into the racing a bit more now.

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Brilliant shots Emil. You have indeed mastered the gear! Question about the 2 shots of the riders getting air... Was there a hump or something on that part of the track that the riders were hitting intentionally?

Mike
Appreciate that coming from you. The shots are taken in turn 5, which is an up-hill left hander that opens up into a 500 yard straight away going into the 90 degree turn 6. The more aggressive riders will really open up on the way out of the turn and wheelie. If you have enough speed you'll go onto or across the rumble strips. If you cross the rumble strips at the right place you can catch some good air... and with good timing (or luck) there's a good shot to be had.

Here's the spot on Google maps:

Road Atlanta, 5300 Winder Hwy, Braselton, GA 30517 - Google Maps

You get the best air if you cross the rumble strips just as they end.

From another angle it looks like this, with 3 bikes but only 3 wheels on the ground:

And at the Petit Le Mans weekend you might see this:

10-13-2009, 11:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Very nice job, great series.

Thanks for posting,

John
10-13-2009, 06:22 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skinja Quote
Very nice job, great series.

Thanks for posting,

John
Thanks. I shot my first motorcycle race back in June, and I'm hopelessly hooked now
10-13-2009, 08:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Great shots emilf, do you all have motorcycle races year round there in Atlanta? I'm asking because ours in Colorado is already done till May of 2010. Didn't know if you all were far enough south to have it 12 months or not. Love the wheelies and getting some air. Keep these shots coming I might make it through the winter yet.

Jim
10-13-2009, 09:23 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote
Great shots emilf, do you all have motorcycle races year round there in Atlanta? I'm asking because ours in Colorado is already done till May of 2010. Didn't know if you all were far enough south to have it 12 months or not. Love the wheelies and getting some air. Keep these shots coming I might make it through the winter yet.

Jim
There aren't that many motorcycle events at Road Atlanta, and this was the last one of the year. It was also the last WERA event except for one in Vegas at the end of the month.

Unfortunately I'll have to wait until February or March for the next one. Hopefully I'll be able to go to some track days and shoot a little.
10-13-2009, 10:41 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots.

With a 50-500, what's the fastest shutter speeds your were using?