Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Fox Sparrow - Canon Fd Lens on Pentax K10D
Posted By: gscara, 10-12-2009, 10:06 PM

These shots were taken with a Canon 300mm F4L combined with a Pentax 1.4XL converter to make a 420mm f5.6 manual focus lens. Both shots were taken wide open at iso 400. Needless to say, both shots are cropped. The camera shake reduction works well at these longer focal lengths as both shots were taken hand held with shutter speeds under 1/125 second.

Fox Sparrow in a Hedgerow

Second Bird In Bush

Last edited by gscara; 10-12-2009 at 10:07 PM. Reason: fix hyperlink
Views: 1,996
10-12-2009, 10:08 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quite a well-rendered image.
Lovely texture and detail - a touch of contrast would add some pop to it.
Interesting combination of glassware used here.
Well done.
10-12-2009, 11:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nica and sharp!
How did you mount the FD on the K bayonet???
Do you have infinity with this combo?
10-13-2009, 04:07 AM   #4

Nice shots! Really curious about the FD/K coupling!

10-13-2009, 08:30 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Canon Fd Lens with PK coupling

I modified the Canon lens mount which provides both infinity focus and aperture control. I have to use the lens in stop down mode. However, I use the lens wide open because it is sharp and has no optical defects such as purple fringing or ca. The Pentax 1.4XL converter does add a small amount of fringing when shooting with strong back lights, but is an excellent match to the Canon fd L family of lenses.

There are a number of articles on the internet on modifying these lenses, especially on the 4/3 forums. The procedure is relatively straight forward.

I recently came across an article where the author converted the Canon 1.4 extender which meant that he did not have to modify the original lens. Converting the extender is the simpler route and is an excellent match to the 300mm and higher family of Canon Fd lenses.

Thanks for your comments.
10-13-2009, 11:00 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Very nice shots, looks like a great combination.
10-13-2009, 11:13 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gscara Quote
I modified the Canon lens mount which provides both infinity focus and aperture control. I have to use the lens in stop down mode. However, I use the lens wide open because it is sharp and has no optical defects such as purple fringing or ca. The Pentax 1.4XL converter does add a small amount of fringing when shooting with strong back lights, but is an excellent match to the Canon fd L family of lenses.

There are a number of articles on the internet on modifying these lenses, especially on the 4/3 forums. The procedure is relatively straight forward.

I recently came across an article where the author converted the Canon 1.4 extender which meant that he did not have to modify the original lens. Converting the extender is the simpler route and is an excellent match to the 300mm and higher family of Canon Fd lenses.

Thanks for your comments.
If you have some link it would be great! I'm about to modify a 20mm/f4 FD lens for K mount, and think I should be able to get infinity. I've dissassembled the lens from behind, but need to take the time to bring it to the workshop at my work to cut away some parts and drill whole for a K mount. It would be great to see some examples of how others have done.

Nice if you could also post some pictures at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/64271-impossible-lens-club.html.