Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Fun with syringes
Posted By: betsypdx, 05-28-2007, 09:56 PM

I can't say that having a diabetic dog is all that much fun, nor is having to give her shots twice a day and dispose of the syringes in a sharps container, but . . . . it did give me an excuse to try out the old refracted (?) image in a water drop picture. (you can pretend it's insulin coming out of the syringe)

So here's the shot -

And, 15 units of insulin, twice a day seems to be doing the trick - she's doing 100% better than she was just two weeks ago. Still has some weight to gain back though.

- Betsy
Views: 2,084
05-28-2007, 10:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Very nice.

The first thing i saw was the dogs reflection in the droplet. A well executed shot.
05-29-2007, 10:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent shot betsy. I'm trying to figure out if it's menace or hope I feel from it. In any case a nice emotive photo, and a great capture of the reflection on the drop. Hope she recovers fully soon.

NaCl(I used to have to give one of mine anti epsilepsy medication)H2O
05-29-2007, 11:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wasn't quite sure what to expect given the title of your thread! Nice shot (in both senses), your dog must be very trusting to allow you to give her injections. It's amazing what we'll do for our furry friends - I know someone who was administering a daily ten minute IV drip to her cat whose kidneys were failing. And like NaClH2O, I had an epileptic dog who got a daily Dilantin. I hope she bounces back soon.

Julie

05-29-2007, 07:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by -spam- Quote
Very nice.

The first thing i saw was the dogs reflection in the droplet. A well executed shot.
Thanks -spam-.
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Excellent shot betsy. I'm trying to figure out if it's menace or hope I feel from it. In any case a nice emotive photo, and a great capture of the reflection on the drop. Hope she recovers fully soon.

NaCl(I used to have to give one of mine anti epsilepsy medication)H2O
Thanks Salty! She's on her way to full health, and is already back to bouncing up and down when I pull out the leash to take her for a walk.
QuoteOriginally posted by foxglove Quote
I wasn't quite sure what to expect given the title of your thread! Nice shot (in both senses), your dog must be very trusting to allow you to give her injections. It's amazing what we'll do for our furry friends - I know someone who was administering a daily ten minute IV drip to her cat whose kidneys were failing. And like NaClH2O, I had an epileptic dog who got a daily Dilantin. I hope she bounces back soon.
Julie
Thanks Julie. We also had a dog when I was a child who had epilepsy - pills every night, and seizures from time to time. I have a picture from May 1974 when she was a puppy - my brother convinced me at the time that I should pay him 50 cents for it, and I did and have kept it ever since (it is a kind of cool double exposure - I may need to try that with Maya).

Cheers, Betsy
05-29-2007, 08:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Good way to make it fun!

Hi Betsy!

I know no matter how many times you've done this with your good friend and no matter how much it helps her, it's got to be hard to do. Glad you could find a way to make it fun for once! The reflection of the dog in the drop is a very touching point to the photo. Great job!
05-30-2007, 12:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

nice shot - like Salty - I can't figure out the emotion it gives me - (my first reaction wasn't good, but I have a thing for needles. (or rather, I don't have a thing for needles...)

glad to hear she's well on the way to recovery - I had a sick rabbit once I had to give medication twice a day for a month - it wasn't hard when she was sick - it was when she was starting to feel better that I had to wrap her in a towel to keep keep her from running away while I fed her.

06-06-2007, 07:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Good work Betsy. I want to know how you managed to hold the syringe at an angle and take the shot as you did. Remote on a tripod?
06-06-2007, 08:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photo_mom Quote
Hi Betsy!

I know no matter how many times you've done this with your good friend and no matter how much it helps her, it's got to be hard to do. Glad you could find a way to make it fun for once! The reflection of the dog in the drop is a very touching point to the photo. Great job!
Thanks Tracy. She doesn't seem to mind the shot so much - especially since it comes with her morning and evening meal.

QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
nice shot - like Salty - I can't figure out the emotion it gives me - (my first reaction wasn't good, but I have a thing for needles. (or rather, I don't have a thing for needles...)

glad to hear she's well on the way to recovery - I had a sick rabbit once I had to give medication twice a day for a month - it wasn't hard when she was sick - it was when she was starting to feel better that I had to wrap her in a towel to keep keep her from running away while I fed her.
She's doing pretty well with the whole regime - I'd hate it. It certainly makes me much more appreciative of what my sister-in-law, who has been an insulin-dependent diabetic for 35 years, has to go through.

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
Good work Betsy. I want to know how you managed to hold the syringe at an angle and take the shot as you did. Remote on a tripod?
Thanks LaRee - but are you asking me to give away my professional secrets?

LOL - the syringe was balanced on a butter dish with a slightly raised edge. I placed the lens cap from the DFA 100 on the other end of the syringe to keep it pointed up. The butter dish was on top of a couple books to raise the whole thing up to camera level and get the photo (not the real dog - she doesn't stay still that long) in the background captured appropriately in the drop. Tripod, yes - 2 second delay. A *very* professional studio set up :).
06-07-2007, 06:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks for this shot. I will try and experiment that myself at work!! Really clever idea.

I wonder if you use clamps and things alike to set up this shot ...