Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  
LBA is complete: FA* 250-600mm/5.6 – images of the lens
Posted By: Marc Langille, 10-14-2009, 06:03 PM

I am thinking my FA* LBA is complete... maybe...

Received the super telephoto zoom lens last Friday, but I’ve been quite busy these last few days! The stars finally aligned and I have purchased the same lens you see in our own PF lens review database. I had the honor of meeting up with the owner (Jay) of this lens in October, 2008 for a shooting session. A sincere thank you to Jay (aka Sirfishalot) for letting me spend some time with this lens last fall and come to the realization that it’s in a class of it’s own! Thank you again for packing it so well and shipping it to me...

It’s brilliant yet sharp wide open from 250mm through 600mm and really sharp stopped down just a bit. This is a larger lens at close to 13 pounds, but it’s literally as new! I already have a Wimberley MK Gimbal that I will test drive to confirm its place in my support system arsenal, alongside my Arca-Swiss Z1 head that I normally use in a blind. I’ll be getting either the Gitzo 5541LS or Gitzo 3541XLS as the tripod of choice.

Here's a teaser shot of lens in the trunk... This shot was taken at F/7.1... to intentionally hide the lettering on the metal badge on the trunk...

Here's the badge detail on the trunk:

I opened the trunk and I see a nicely padded interior, cutouts and of course the beautiful curved silver surfaces of the FA* 250-600/5.6:

I pulled out the lens and removed the lens hood (aka hood bonnet):

Closer details of the lens barrel:

For some reason I like this one a great deal - a little tighter and it's almost like a product shot:

Here's the scale test - from left to right: trunk and accessories, Wimberley lens plate (P-50, which I already had), FA* 80-200/2.8, FA* 200/4 Macro, FA* 300/2.8 and FA* 250-600/5.6.

That little black lens in front of the FA* 200/4 Macro is the DA 50-200...

Last image for now - this is much better at showing the physical size of each lens:

I hope you enjoyed them!

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 10-14-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Views: 15,433
10-14-2009, 09:40 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh....my......God!

Mind blowing setup and product pics you made there Marc. I have no idea how you chose one to actually use. Maybe just charge the rest of us to tour your house like a museum and reach across the velvet ropes for a touch.

Last edited by imtheguy; 10-15-2009 at 10:14 AM.
10-15-2009, 02:38 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm drooling .. .where did I put the kleenex ...

Congrats Marc and we will be here to get amazed by the images you will make with the new lens.
10-15-2009, 02:58 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Hey Marc, glad to see you finally got the big gun in your collection. I knew you'd been hunting for this one for years, it's good to see a gem lens (well, a bunch of gems) in capable hands. I'm sure we'd see some great wild life photos from you soon.

I'm not drooling 'cause I don't like big lenses. The biggest lens I want to carry is the FA*80-200

To make this thread more interesting, here is my very recent collection:

You can see I like them small, and manual too
10-15-2009, 03:26 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote

You can see I like them small, and manual too
Frank, I just laught a lot about this line you wrote.

Thanks for making my day a bit better

10-15-2009, 03:34 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
Frank, I just laught a lot about this line you wrote.

Thanks for making my day a bit better
Hehe, I knew some guy is gonna laugh
10-15-2009, 04:05 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skinja Quote
Congratulations Marc I know you have been looking forward to this for a long time. I know it's in good hands, We all will look forward to some samples soon.

When did you say the next workshop is?

John
For 2010, I'm already planning: within 1-2 weeks I should have everything sorted out! I'm already working on 2011 and 2012 too. We did Utah on very short notice so I wish to get a better schedule set up so folks have plenty of time to plan/budget.

I suspect we will be going to the back country of Yellowstone... The biggest question is to go during late winter or later on - the gray wolf activity is near it's peak late in the winter. That's just for the first part of 2010 - then there's the workshops overseas! Jst two of the possibilities are trips like no other, so be prepared... just saying...

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
You know how we all praise Devisor for his wonderful shots of his wonderful subjects.....? :ugh:

.......not any more Devisor....ya been relegated to second position....... for now...

I hope he's not hurt by this!! They are wonderful subjects, no question there.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Marc..? so your gonna mount these on what..? a Ford 250? Chevy pickup ? Hummer ?

Congrats, eagerly looking forward to the mandatory LBA shot.
Easy answer: over my shoulder or in a backpack when hiking longer distances. No worries mate.

Thank you Grant and I'm assembling some ideas - see above!

Regards,
Marc
10-15-2009, 06:02 AM   #22
Veteran Member

WOW. Finally you have your new baby. Well done. JIM

10-15-2009, 06:12 AM   #23
Veteran Member

First off congratulations that is a pristine collection of some of the finest glass Pentax has ever made.

Secondly LBA is incurable. It may go into remission at times , but it is a lifelong addiction. It may even mutate at times where it becomes ABA (Accessories Buying Addiction ) or CBA (Camera Bodies Addiction) but will always come back to LBA at some point.

And finally wow I thought I packed heavy, you now need a Sherpa and possibly a Donkey or Camel
10-15-2009, 06:43 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I just shed a tear...
10-15-2009, 07:07 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Dude, that's just filthy!

(That's what the kids today say, isn't it?)

I can't even say I'm all that envious, because I know this beauty is in very capable hands.
10-15-2009, 07:40 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Wow.
Normally, like daacon, I would say that LBA is incurable :P
But maybe you have found the solution!

I will look forward to seeing some pics from this lens.
I'll pay to enter the 'museum' too, awesome collection
10-15-2009, 08:24 AM   #27
Veteran Member

wow!...I am officially jealous. Please post some photographs taken with this wonder.
10-15-2009, 12:39 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Congrats on a great lens.
I know you’ll put it to good use. Looking forward to your work from it

When looking into buying Pentax back in the day, I heard it labeled the Bazooka zoom, and how it was a joy to use

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
For 2010, I'm already planning: within 1-2 weeks I should have everything sorted out! I'm already working on 2011 and 2012 too. We did Utah on very short notice so I wish to get a better schedule set up so folks have plenty of time to plan/budget.

I suspect we will be going to the back country of Yellowstone... The biggest question is to go during late winter or later on - the gray wolf activity is near it's peak late in the winter. That's just for the first part of 2010 - then there's the workshops overseas! Jst two of the possibilities are trips like no other, so be prepared... just saying...
Gotta start pulling my act together and finishing my study, so I can sign up for these workshops. Sounds way cool; back country of Yellowstone, overseas workshops, etc.

Still remember when you got the FA* 300/2.8. Guess you didn't imagine what would follow from there, and that you would have a whole arsenal later on of these great optics
10-15-2009, 12:44 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Would definitely be interested in a Yellowstone trip in early 2010.
10-15-2009, 12:51 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Where's the FA* 600mm f4?