Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Where the Buffalo Roam
Posted By: Jimbo, 10-16-2009, 08:45 AM

Met up with Daacon [Davey] in Edmonton yesterday and we went to a place called Elk Island. Neverf seen a Elk but we did see some Buffalo. Dave was using his Bigma and these were taken with my Sigma 70-200. Hopefully Dave will post some of his. JIM

Views: 4,244
10-16-2009, 09:16 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Beautiful shots Jim, Elk Island is a great place for nature shots.
10-16-2009, 09:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes indeed the Canadian Tandem hooked up once again to battle nature armed with K20D's and Sigma glass this time .....

Roaming indeed.... oh give me a home.... we tracked these guys for hours, in the deep bush - took a quad about 10 miles in then hiked another 7, finally with the snow getting too deep we put on the snowshoes - got to the river, paddeled another 4 miles in a boat we made out of a hollowed log using branches for paddles.....up hill, against the current, both ways.... And finally........

Here are another few

Click on image for full view ...

Grant, Anne, John, Gary, Marc where the heck were you guys ?
10-16-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
one more

10-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Yes indeed the Canadian Tandem hooked up once again to battle nature armed with K20D's and Sigma glass this time .....

Roaming indeed.... oh give me a home.... we tracked these guys for hours, in the deep bush - took a quad about 10 miles in then hiked another 7, finally with the snow getting too deep we put on the snowshoes - got to the river, paddeled another 4 miles in a boat we made out of a hollowed log using branches for paddles.....up hill, against the current, both ways.... And finally........

Here are another few

Click on image for full view ...

That's funny, so what your really telling me is that you guys never got out of the rig and you would just turn the car around when it was Jimbo's turn to photograph probably had a fully stocked bar in the back seat and a pizza oven in the trunk............ Sorry we missed it.
10-16-2009, 09:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
And this is all True...
10-16-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
That's funny, so what your really telling me is that you guys never got out of the rig and you would just turn the car around when it was Jimbo's turn to photograph probably had a fully stocked bar in the back seat and a pizza oven in the trunk............ Sorry we missed it.
And this is all true too!

10-16-2009, 09:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Did you guys take everything you own on this expedition? like every where else we went.

God those packs got heavy..... but it was great exercise. To bad I never opened it up once we arrived at our destination.
10-16-2009, 09:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skinja Quote
Did you guys take everything you own on this expedition? like every where else we went.

God those packs got heavy..... but it was great exercise. To bad I never opened it up once we arrived at our destination.
Indeed I actually packed two more lenses this time carrying a total of 10 - # used 1 - if nothing else we are consistent
10-16-2009, 09:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Yes and more! We also only used one lens again! We just like to look important I think or professional dudes! Next thing Dave and I will be getting is tatoos "Sweat" and Dude" You had to see the movie. JIM
10-16-2009, 02:43 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Working

You happy now!! ?

What? no class 5 rapids on this little afternoon outing?

PS: hope you didn't get too cold when you had to put the window down for these shots?.......you did put the window down didn't ya???.....guys?....guys!!

Very nice captures, I'll just go back to work now........
10-16-2009, 02:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Yea Grant, it's kind of bull (or Buffalo) that they are out playing while we were at work. What's up with that. Window Down? the pizza would get cold.........

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote

Working

You happy now!! ?

What? no class 5 rapids on this little afternoon outing?

PS: hope you didn't get too cold when you had to put the window down for these shots?.......you did put the window down didn't ya???.....guys?....guys!!

Very nice captures, I'll just go back to work now........
10-16-2009, 03:25 PM   #13
Veteran Member

John / Grant / Scott

Thanks - Grant haven't you sold the business yet ? If I had one to sell , I’ll tell ya ..... work definitely puts a cramp into my activities. Then again without work my activites would be severly limited catch 22

Well both Jim and I had our phones ready to work at a moment’s notice and fortunately for me that moment never came. (Jim took a few calls and to be honest I answered a few emails haha ) The Class 5 rapids are next year later spring I hope ....

Window was down indeed and yeah we even left the vehicle (but did not wonder far or long I mean those Bison were several meters off the road !)

And just so we are clear there were no carbohydrates harmed during the making of these photo's however once the dinner bell rang - well what can I say ... my meal was protein I drank my carbs

Last edited by daacon; 10-16-2009 at 03:50 PM.
10-16-2009, 04:01 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So who survived?? I enjoyed viewing them, even though I wasn't invited...

I am glad to see it wasn't during the rut - run for cover!!

Future workshop planning???
10-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shot guys - is that white stuff snow? In mid October?

Jer