Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Random macro images from this weekend's cabin retreat
Posted By: Marc Langille, 05-29-2007, 04:58 PM

I didn't shoot as much as I'd like to, but here are a few of the random macro shots that I managed to take. Note that I brought my gear, and spent only a small amount of time doing this type of photography. Unless otherwise stated, it's done with my K10D, FA* 200/4 macro lens, tripod, patience, and sometimes using a flash....

Mosquito on Devils Paintbrush - taken at F/13, 1/180 sec., ISO 100:

Hover Fly on Spiderwort - taken at F/16, 1/180 sec., ISO 100:

Spiderwort (darker variety) - taken at F/11, 1/15 sec., ISO 400

I have some birding images (and others) for later...

Cheers,
Marc
Views: 3,182
05-29-2007, 05:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
They're beautiful like always Marc.

I've got a question for you.
While using a flash do you use a ring flash or a regular flash?

Thanks in advance.
05-29-2007, 06:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks, and the flash question

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
They're beautiful like always Marc.

I've got a question for you.
While using a flash do you use a ring flash or a regular flash?

Thanks in advance.
Hi Stu!

Thank you for the comments. I do own both, but primarily I use the Pentax AF-540FGZ, with AF point linked to AE. The Vivitar ring flash is not compatible with my K10D, although I could try it on the DS.

I am not as big a fan of ring flashes, since they provide an even light, which minimizes shadows and therefore reduces the 3D appearance to the image. Using a "standard" flash gun forces you to really think about the shot too. That improves (or at least I think it does) my work as time goes on?

This new 540 is a really nice flash gun, no question. The fact that it has a wireless function, plus an optical slave setting like my Promaster 7000, gives me lots of flexibility off camera too.

Cheers,
Marc
05-29-2007, 06:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info Marc.

I was just wondering after I had a problem shooting some macro's using a fish-eye the other day.
I found it difficult to not cause a shadow over my subject at extreme close-ups.
I would imagine that I'll have the same problem when I get a dedicated macro lens, and I just wanted to look into a solution before I get the lens.

05-29-2007, 06:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Thanks for the info Marc.

I was just wondering after I had a problem shooting some macro's using a fish-eye the other day.
I found it difficult to not cause a shadow over my subject at extreme close-ups.
I would imagine that I'll have the same problem when I get a dedicated macro lens, and I just wanted to look into a solution before I get the lens.
Stu, now I understand.

Perhaps you'll need a bracket mount and/or hand holding the flash instead, unless you can rely on ambient lighting and a tripod for the fish-eye lens? You kind of have to get low to get the image without a shadow on the versatile fish-eye.

This is my favorite fish-eye macro sample:

Here's a sample of hand holding the flash while it's attached to the hot shoe via an extension cord, using my 200mm. I intentionally wanted a side shot, with light hitting it frontally:

I hope that helps?

Cheers,
Marc
05-29-2007, 06:43 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gorgeous macros Marc, thanks for posting them.
05-29-2007, 08:49 PM   #7

I really enjoy the spiderwort shots. I have a bunch of that plant in my garden, but nothing I have shot compares to the beauty of these.
I have much to learn. Thanks for Sharing.

05-29-2007, 09:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The mosquitto shot is so sharp demonstrating the beauty of this glass.

It seems the flash was a good addition to your macro photography.

05-29-2007, 11:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Your macro work makes mine look so silly! I've also been experimenting with using the af360 as a flashgun with some wonderful results and hope to upgrade to a 540 so I can have 3 wireless flashes with the 540 mounted and the 2 360's as wireless strobes! Maybe next year when money is available... Great job again and I envy your lens and your artistic ability with a camera. I am now going to sit down and figure out how to take some shots as good as those

05-30-2007, 03:22 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Heinrich and FletcherKane

QuoteOriginally posted by fletcherkane Quote
I really enjoy the spiderwort shots. I have a bunch of that plant in my garden, but nothing I have shot compares to the beauty of these.
I have much to learn. Thanks for Sharing.
Thank you both the the comments. These are the ones I found in the wild, not in a garden. It seems timing/good fortune was on my side that time round when I took a little stroll around the cabin...
05-30-2007, 03:24 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
The mosquitto shot is so sharp demonstrating the beauty of this glass.

It seems the flash was a good addition to your macro photography.

Thanks James! I hope things are well with you?

Yes, even from 2 feet away it captured a lot of detail quite well! I am now convinced of the flash's usefulness, especially in overcast, canopied forest! I still like the soft colors of natural lighting, when I can take advantage of it. I've bought a diffuser so that will help a bit too.

Cheers,
Marc
05-30-2007, 03:49 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Chris...

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Your macro work makes mine look so silly! I've also been experimenting with using the af360 as a flashgun with some wonderful results and hope to upgrade to a 540 so I can have 3 wireless flashes with the 540 mounted and the 2 360's as wireless strobes! Maybe next year when money is available... Great job again and I envy your lens and your artistic ability with a camera. I am now going to sit down and figure out how to take some shots as good as those

I appreciate that vote of confidence in my work and my artistic abilities! However, I don't think it's fair to compare our work like that. Mine is not better than yours. Perhaps I am over-reacting to that comment, but I still feel it should be clarified. Now I need to go look at your images, my curiosity is burning...

I think it's best to say that we do learn from others, nothing more. I learn from everyone's work, newbie or pro, no question. It seems I have a very particular style for my macro work, and it satisfies my heart, soul, and artistic eye. I seek the challenge of angles, lighting, etc. without really thinking a lot about it. The combination of detail and beauty in balance...

Several people (local) have commented that they can now recognize my style of work, because they've seen the progression I've made. Yes, I started serious shooting last year, but I also took time a lot of time off just to learn digital and hopefully master my tools. Please believe me when I say that I am always grateful for my intrinsic artistic abilities. It was natural for me, since I did a lot of sketching, poetry, music, etc. in school, but not as a formal study.

Many of my first macros were OOF (out of focus), missed the subject, etc. I was a very frustrated man when I started!! I was getting close to consider throwing in the towel... of course, bonehead me picks one of the harder types of photography to master...

Best Regards,
Marc
05-30-2007, 04:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Inspiring work there, Marc! (I've got to find the cable for my flash and try my hand at this. )
05-30-2007, 04:44 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Amazing macros! I have a quick question... you said you use a tripod, does this mean you setup shop on a flower, then just wait until an insect lands, or do you have special super human tripod handling skills that allow you to keep up with these little guys? Can't wait 'til my flash comes in, I find it hard to get good light at high apertures without it. Anyway... great shots.
05-30-2007, 05:02 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks Dan...

QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
Inspiring work there, Marc! (I've got to find the cable for my flash and try my hand at this. )
I sincerely appreciate that you consider my work to be inspiring.

By all means try it out - you'd be amazed at what a little creativity can do...

Regards,
Marc