Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

I think it's going to rain
Posted By: skinja, 10-20-2009, 06:22 AM

Jimbo and I were driving home from our days adventures, You know all those forboding clouds that Jimbo captured so well. We get to meet up with them again, they were not as pleasant the second time. I've seen it rain before, you know really rain......... can't see threw the windshield kind of rain, well it was every bit of that.

Getting ready for the down pour.

Views: 5,313
10-22-2009, 07:46 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax_XTC Quote
2 words for the photo:
Nice work.

2 words if I was in the car with you:
OH SH*T!!!
Thanks for looking, Same thing I said to Jim, Man did it rain!

John

10-22-2009, 08:05 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Woah... foreboding! Cool shot (esp. since you were clearly driving ). One little nit pick - I see a glowing halo around the dark trees on the right, assuming you use Lightroom for PP, perhaps the "Clarity" slider should be turned down a bit?
10-22-2009, 08:31 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Woah... foreboding! Cool shot (esp. since you were clearly driving ). One little nit pick - I see a glowing halo around the dark trees on the right, assuming you use Lightroom for PP, perhaps the "Clarity" slider should be turned down a bit?
Thanks, I didn't catch that. I will make the mod when I get home tonight. I always appreciate CC. Jimbo was driving I was just the navigator.

John
10-22-2009, 10:07 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by skinja Quote
When I was a lot younger but just a little dumber, my cousin and his buddies and I looked forward to those kind of clouds back in Nebraska, We would all jump in the car with a case or two of beer and chase the storms hoping to find a tornado or two, nothing better to do in Pierce on a hot muggy summer day for a bunch of delinquint teenagers, OK maybe I was a lot dumber.

John
My first assignment (USAF) was communications software support at the Air Force Global Weather Central unit. Whenever tornado sirens went off on base, most of the building emptied out because all those damnfool weather geeks were going outside to see the wall clouds (and funnels if they were lucky...). Crazy crazy crazy... I'll take volcanoes and earthquakes ANY day over tornados (and I have been here 25+ yrs now)

Jim

10-22-2009, 10:34 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
My first assignment (USAF) was communications software support at the Air Force Global Weather Central unit. Whenever tornado sirens went off on base, most of the building emptied out because all those damnfool weather geeks were going outside to see the wall clouds (and funnels if they were lucky...). Crazy crazy crazy... I'll take volcanoes and earthquakes ANY day over tornados (and I have been here 25+ yrs now)

Jim
I don't know if I would agree with you on that, I was in Anaheim during the earthquake there, I think it was in 95 or 96 when all the bridges fell down, had it been much worse I'm not sure our motel would have stayed up rite. with no where to go. I know you can have the same problem with a tornado but sometimes you get enough advance warning, you may have enough time to hide in a storm cellar. Thanks for bringing back the fond memories

John
10-22-2009, 12:12 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by skinja Quote
I don't know if I would agree with you on that, I was in Anaheim during the earthquake there, I think it was in 95 or 96 when all the bridges fell down, had it been much worse I'm not sure our motel would have stayed up rite. with no where to go. I know you can have the same problem with a tornado but sometimes you get enough advance warning, you may have enough time to hide in a storm cellar. Thanks for bringing back the fond memories

John
The way I look at it is: Volcanoes give you plenty of warning, you can get out of the way unless you're actively seeking out the excitement... Earthquakes give you *NO* warning, so you might as well not waste time worrying about it. You just deal with it as best you can when it hits. Tornadoes, on the other hand, give you just enough warning to *try* and get to shelter. IF they show up on radar instead of just dropping from the clouds. And IF there's enough light outside to see one, instead of being the middle of the night. And IF you're close enough to hear a siren, or have a radio / TV available.

Nah, I'd much rather have the volcanoes and quakes I grew up with Of course, if certain plans involving the spouse's career work out, that might just happen (Yay!)...

Jim
10-22-2009, 12:39 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah it is a pretty eerie feeling to have the sirens go off in the middle of the night and just not know. Did you see that picture of the oil fields where the guy steps out of the building in the middle of the night to capture a picture of the lightning, the lightning struck and there was a class 4 right in front of it and only a mile away or so. That would make you load your shorts

10-22-2009, 02:26 PM   #23
axl
Veteran Member

really nice shot.
thanks for sharing
10-22-2009, 04:58 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
really nice shot.
thanks for sharing
Thanks Axl.
10-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Those are some badass looking clouds! Were you guys near Anacortes? I see the sign on the right re: the ferry to Whidbey Island. I was stationed there 65-66. I loved it there. My son and his family are in Oly.
10-22-2009, 05:58 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah...ya pair of wimps...an itsy bitsy cloud in the sky and you go scampering for home..?!

Come on, where's the lightning shots.......and whats more !...you both missed an opportunity to field test the weather sealing....:ugh:

on the other hand....its better to be safe than sorry.
10-22-2009, 07:09 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Ah...ya pair of wimps...an itsy bitsy cloud in the sky and you go scampering for home..?!

Come on, where's the lightning shots.......and whats more !...you both missed an opportunity to field test the weather sealing....

on the other hand....its better to be safe than sorry
Se34e what happens John when Grantg leaves our group. We become wimps. There was a short time we feared for our life. Well John did. I was ok. JIM
10-22-2009, 08:05 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jim was OK really......... it was me that was scared for my life:ugh: Did you see those clouds? OH
10-22-2009, 08:21 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

those weather 'events' can be pretty scary when you have the misfortune to be in one.

Cheers.
10-22-2009, 10:08 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The scariest thing was.......................