Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Moon on the beach
Posted By: Riktar, 10-20-2009, 03:53 PM

Shot while on vacation from the deck of the rental home. I did not bring my tripod, had no way of remote triggering the camera, and had more than a few beers.

So I had to find a way to shoot with the camera resting on one of the deck posts, and my less than steady hands holding down the shutter in bulb mode.

Views: 1,955
10-20-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shot, color, sharpness, you did well for the situation. The moon may be a touch over whelming for me, I wouldnt get rid of it completely, maybe just the top 1/2 to 3/4 of the moon, you still want to know it's there, but not quite so bold. Just my opinon.

Thanks for posting.

John
10-20-2009, 04:26 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, nice shot. The moon being on the edge of the image and not adding all that much to the look of the photo probably could be cropped off. The reflection it provides on the sea is a good effect, though.
Well done.
10-20-2009, 06:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't think there needs to be anything done to the photo as far as the moon is concerned. I like it just the way it is. jim

10-20-2009, 06:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Love the effect TFS

cheers
10-20-2009, 07:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I am also of the opinion that the image is more interesting without the blurred moon. The color of the light on the decking and beach together with the moon's light on the water make for a little better scene to my eyes. Both of them.
Tis a good scene.
10-20-2009, 07:10 PM   #7
Igilligan

I think I agree...

I like it with the moon, but I think it improves as a photograph without the moon. I really like the light in this and the sky becomes more dramatic with the moon cropped.

A great shot either way. It reminds me of a beach in Naples Fla, where I worked on a party for a few thousand people.

10-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #8
Inactive Account

good shot! I also like effect of the moon has been cropped
10-20-2009, 07:37 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips!

You folks are great. Your suggestions got me thinking. So my first thought was just to eliminate the moon as suggested:

And then I considered the suggestion of removal of the moon via crop:

Now I am not sure which I like best. But thank you all for the quandary!
10-20-2009, 08:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Riktar Quote
You folks are great. Your suggestions got me thinking. So my first thought was just to eliminate the moon as suggested:

And then I considered the suggestion of removal of the moon via crop:

Now I am not sure which I like best. But thank you all for the quandary!
Here is a little more, try and leave just about a quarter of the moon glow and then nock down the glow about 30% in intensity, I held a sheet of paper over the original with just that much moon left, I really liked it. the bottom line is suggestions are great but your the one that truly needs to be happy with it, were just here to help spur the creativity in all of us.

Still a beautiful photo what ever you do with it. and thanks for letting me throw my 2 cents in.

John
10-20-2009, 08:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Yes of course the image should be what you want it to be. Also notice that by cropping instead of "erasing" the moon, you reduce the appearance of lens vignetting in the upper corners. If that is a problem. Or it wasn't until it was pointed out to you and now that is all you can think about. Oh god! Did I leave the curling iron on at home?!?
Thank you. Ladies and gentlemen. That was my portrayal of Clint Malarchuk as a Pentax user. Thank you. Drive safely.
10-26-2009, 07:36 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Wonderful night shot...
10-26-2009, 12:09 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful image - in all it's iterations.

Jer