Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Fishing mackerel (people at work)
Posted By: netuser, 10-21-2009, 05:30 AM

Hi all

So, I have been doing some shooting on the docks. After doing that for several times/days and talking to sea man, I got invited by some fishermen to go to sea wich I did during one night.
On almost all images I used flash (AF 540 FGZ) because I was afraid iso of K-7 couldn't handle the situation due to all the talking around.....

So, the point is that, tonight the weather might be good and I might go out with them. I don't want to try again (unless it's the only way) the flash but go for some natural/iso images. Is that possible since there is a lot of action ?

I need some advice from you all more experienced. Since this would be my last change to grab good images.

My point on this "project" is only self learning (long road...) but along with it I don't want to do only "images for internet". I want to print 5 to 10 images around 40x60 cm each to offer to the local Fishermen Union.
I grow to highly respect this men's work and this offer I'm thinking is some kind of thank you for the experience/insigh they gave me.

So, can k-7 give high iso images that can be printed 40x60 cm ? How ?
How should I aproach this second opportunity, with or without flash ?
All advices are appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Gear available
(Let's not forget it's a small boat with 18 men working and I can't be on their way. the boat was "felicia", the white and red SMALL one in the middle on the picture down)
zooms: DA 10-17, DA 12-24, DA 18-250 and Tamron 17-59 2.8
(I used 18-250 last time with the flash plus DA 10-17)
primes: All the FA's and DFA 100. (better go with zooms?)

Above you will find some images I took when I went out with them.
All critiques are welcome as well as tips to improve all aspects, since composition to flash use/not use, high iso use, lenses etc.

I shoot them on AV or M mode.
Exifs are on the images.

Thanks again.

Last edited by netuser; 01-27-2010 at 03:51 AM.
Views: 2,660
10-21-2009, 07:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Almost 30 views and not even one hint ?

Please give some help.
10-21-2009, 08:36 AM   #3
JMR
Veteran Member

I would like to help you out, but I don't have experience printing anything that large or using flash outdoors. I seldom shoot above ISO 400, which I don't like, but I only have K10D. I found 800 and above noisy. Maybe your K7 has a much better high ISO performance. I am sure someone will chime in. But I would go with fill-in flash so that the images look natural and do not overwhelm the subjects and a 50 to wide angle lens to capture the action on board close up.

JMR
10-21-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
I would like to help you out, but I don't have experience printing anything that large or using flash outdoors. I seldom shoot above ISO 400, which I don't like, but I only have K10D. I found 800 and above noisy. Maybe your K7 has a much better high ISO performance. I am sure someone will chime in. But I would go with fill-in flash so that the images look natural and do not overwhelm the subjects and a 50 to wide angle lens to capture the action on board close up.

JMR
Thanks .

And about the images I posted as samples? What would you recommend I change/correct ?

10-21-2009, 09:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

First, satisfy my curiosity - I see you're in the Azores, but there are big Canadian flags on the bows of the two red-and-white boats. What's the story there?

Challenging shooting - I can't give any help on high iso and big prints from the K7, I've got a K100D (sheesh, I feel like such a fossil!) and I rarely print big or use high iso!

I agree with JMR that some fill flash will really help. I think without it, you'd end up with shadowy people and little detail, particularly with the amount of light in the sky. You could fuss around in photoshop or whatever you use to bring up shadow details, but that gets noisy pretty fast. A little fill flash goes a long way, though!

I really like the 4th shot, of the net feeding out into the water - nice lines, and the flash is not too harsh. The last one is great, with all the men lined up hauling in the net. I noticed that JMR suggested using a 50mm lens, and the exif shows that one as 42.5mm - good call, JMR! That focal length looks really good, at least if you can get that close. The people aren't lost in the frame, but yet you can still see what they're doing. The other shot where they're hauling in the net doesn't work as well - you're back a little more from the people, and the white hull has really picked up the flash.

You might get results closer to what you'd like if you push the iso higher (400? 800? I'm not sure what looks good on the K7.) but still use a little fill flash. There'd be less flash, more natural light, so the flash would look less obvious, and be less likely to burn out light foreground objects like the boat hull I mentioned. Of course the best tactic is to avoid light foreground objects, but we all know how hard it is to keep track of stuff while shooting - and it must be all the more challenging bobbing about in a boat!

Nice project, the fishermen should really appreciate your prints.

Julie
10-21-2009, 09:39 AM   #6
JMR
Veteran Member

Foxglove, many Azoreans have emigrated to Canada since 1956 and continue to have close ties with the people in their homeland, and so you will see many cultural signs pointing to these connections; much like we see maritimers' cultural signs all over Canada.

I know that some people, like Mike Riley, have shown excellent results with high ISO on the K20, to about 1600, if I recall correctly, and K7 has even better ISO characteristics.

To be honest, I like the first image, if you can brighten it up a bit. And I like the 4th with the net cast out. It acts like a leading line into the horizon and helps tell a story as well.

For the people shots, I advise getting closer and try to place people at the edge of the photo or the corners, so the photo will show a person but help tell a story about what they are doing or what they represent. Sort of like environmental portraits. It's only a guide and suggestion does not mean that people cannot appear anywhere in the image.

You will not learn any of this over night, but as you go along. But since you are going on board tonight, take as many images as you can, it is only pixels.

JMR
10-21-2009, 09:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by foxglove Quote
First, satisfy my curiosity - I see you're in the Azores, but there are big Canadian flags on the bows of the two red-and-white boats. What's the story there?
The master boat owner is a former emigrant back from Canada.
Now he has two lands, the one where he was born (Azores) and the other Canada, the land that give him better opportunities.

I agree with JMR that some fill flash will really help. ........

You might get results closer to what you'd like if you push the iso higher (400? 800? I'm not sure what looks good on the K7.) but still use a little fill flash. There'd be less flash, more natural light, so the flash would look less obvious, ...................
hmmmm, problem is with the iso getting at 400 or800 also the grain will go up and I'm trying to get printable images ....

But maybe better fill flash is the way to go.

Nice project, the fishermen should really appreciate your prints.

Julie
If I manage to have quality images I will print them (hope I will manage it), otherwise I will make a film presentation with the images to be played on a DVD player and also give to them.

Thanks Julie for all the pointers.

10-21-2009, 09:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster

To be honest, I like the first image, if you can brighten it up a bit............
I can since I shoot that one as raw+
Thanks for the suggestion.

For the people shots, I advise getting closer and try to place people at the edge of the photo or the corners, so the photo will show a person but help tell a story about what they are doing or what they represent. Sort of like environmental portraits. ........
That's my point and exactly what I want to accomplish. Will try again

You will not learn any of this over night, but as you go along. But since you are going on board tonight, take as many images as you can, it is only pixels.

JMR
I will try hard and give my best!
Thanks JMR
10-21-2009, 10:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Foxglove, many Azoreans have emigrated to Canada since 1956 and continue to have close ties with the people in their homeland
QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
The master boat owner is a former emigrant back from Canada.
I figured it must be something like that, thanks for confirming.

you will see many cultural signs pointing to these connections; much like we see maritimers' cultural signs all over Canada.
Ha ha! Good analogy. Do we really leave cultural signs all over Canada, though? Oh, the Bluenose on the dime, right...

We are everywhere, I'm afraid:
1. Sitting in a pub in Toronto with a couple fellow Acadia University grads, reminiscing - the barkeep comes over and asks us, "Could you guys talk about something else, you're making the waitress homesick."
2. I arrive in Vancouver, find my way to a bus stop, ask the only other person at the bus stop if the bus goes where I think it does... and he turns out to be a Maritimer.

It certainly seems "right" to see Canadian flags on fishing boats, at least to a Maritimer!

Julie
10-21-2009, 10:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not the point on this thread but for this kind of project pentax weather sealed cameras really rock!
12-17-2009, 03:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Ooh, just outside Ponta Delgada. Quite a lovely atmosphere you've captured.
12-17-2009, 04:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Ooh, just outside Ponta Delgada. Quite a lovely atmosphere you've captured.
True indeed. Missing already ?
12-17-2009, 04:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member

More than you can imagine...
12-17-2009, 02:11 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Always a fan of real people shooting. Good series