Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Cruise ship
Posted By: r0ckstarr, 10-22-2009, 11:31 PM

Last edited by r0ckstarr; 10-23-2009 at 04:29 AM.
Views: 2,881
10-23-2009, 12:01 AM   #2
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I quite like it but I'd:
a) straghten the horizon (it seems to leaning to the right a bit)
b) I'd definitely do it B&W with high contrast
c) clone out the bird next to the ship

BR
Peter
10-23-2009, 02:06 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Decent shot with smooth lighting.
Peter's right, would do with a B&W conversion and horizon straightening.
10-23-2009, 02:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Rockstar! Great pic!! Do you have any more angles? I have a good amount of criuise ship experience and even took a cruise out of Galveston myself.
The best pics of a cruise ship are in it's horozontal profile.

10-23-2009, 04:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips. Straightened it up and got rid of the birds. Sorry, no B&W. I like the color.

res, here are some others of cruise ships leaving the docks.

10-23-2009, 06:42 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really nice images - particularly the first one. I just gotta get my camera up to Galveston and do some shooting beyond Moody Gardens!

Great job.

Jer
10-23-2009, 06:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Once you get to Galveston, you won't have any other choice. The Rainforest Pyramid is closed for the remainder of the year for restocking and repairs.

I don't guess you've heard about the animals and fish inside that pyramid do you? The pumps for all of the fish in the Rainforest Pyramid are in the basement. The storm surge from Ike flooded the basement, and the pumps started pumping saltwater into the fish aquariums. Killed all of the fish, and they are still having trouble keeping new fish alive. I was in there about a month ago and only seen 3 fish in the main pool, 2 of which were swimming sideways.

One of the guys that works there was telling us about the giant snake they have. He said that when they first came in after the storm, that the snakes tank was 3 inches from being completely full of water, and the snake was struggling to get air. Luckily they saved the snake before it drowned.

All of those little pink flamingo birds (sorry, I don't know their correct name) died as well as other birds. The bat cave is completely gone. They are using the bat cave as a storage area now. The parrots are still there though. They somehow survived.

Also, the Rainforest Pyramid has turned into a breeding ground for mosquitos. The mosquitos are numerous and fierce in there.

After dealing with the mosquitos in the Rainforest Pyramid, I didn't bother with the Aquarium Pyramid, so I don't have anything to report on that. I would assume it would be the same scenario with the pumps, though that is just an assumption based off of what I saw in the other pyramid.

10-23-2009, 08:37 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
After dealing with the mosquitos in the Rainforest Pyramid, I didn't bother with the Aquarium Pyramid, so I don't have anything to report on that. I would assume it would be the same scenario with the pumps, though that is just an assumption based off of what I saw in the other pyramid.
I was in the Aquarium about three weeks ago, and it's in good shape - my pictures of the fast moving fish in the low light were lousy, however.

Anyway, we spend so much time in Kemah with the boat, we don't get to Galveston as much as we should.

Jer