Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
my new friend's debut headshot
Posted By: enoeske, 10-23-2009, 12:42 PM

Found this imitation lady bug on the window sill and had to get a shot of him since I just got some extension tubes. Here is the original. I cropped the shot in a bit. Do you think its too close? I wanted to show the eyes and you couldn't really make em in the original cause they are so small in the frame. Does the lighting look too harsh. Its a pretty big source compared to the subject. Is there any way to avoid making shiny macro subjects look wet?

Oct 23, 2009
Model: PENTAX K20D
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/100 sec
Aperture: n/a <-- f/16
Focal Length: n/a <-- Pentax smc 50mm f/1.4 + 50mm vivitar extension tubes
Flash Used: Yes <-- onboard and triggered strobe wirelessly at 1/32nd power about 2 in away
Views: 1,392
10-23-2009, 02:09 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good attempt.
You may have tried a different perspective, like camera at the level of the bug rather than pointing down - this would bring the face on a flatter plane to the camera's sensor.
The detail is OK, but some sharpness is lost here, and the lighting is indeed a little overwhelming - softened, it would have been an improvement. The shininess is hard to do anything about due to the nature of the insect, but again, a soft light and negative clarity in PP may help this.