Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The Football Fan
Posted By: spyglass, 10-26-2009, 01:20 AM

Thought I would post an image I made using the Displacement tool in Photoshop. Great for putting things like flags on faces, bar codes on apples, a fake tattoo on an arm, etc.

Thanks for looking,

Spyglass
Views: 1,832
10-26-2009, 07:07 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
cool effect spyglass....care to show how you done this one...where can i find displacement tool in cs3
10-26-2009, 07:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Simply effective and outstanding
10-26-2009, 07:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
stunning shot and another reason to learn photoshop:ugh:

Thanks for posting.

John

10-26-2009, 11:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Basic idea behind Photoshop Displacement

My top layer was the flag
The second layer was a high contrast copy of the image of my father
The third layer was the normal image of my father

Save the second layer (I called it "fathermap"). This will become your displacement map
Next select the top layer and then select the displacement tool from Filter pull down menu (Filter/Distort/Displace)
You will be asked to set the Horizontal and Vertical Scale (I used 25 for each), click Ok
Next you will be asked to choose a displacement map (and a file search/select box will open) - chose the high contrast file you saved for your map. This will help Photoshop to properly distort the fag to conform to the face. The high contrast map you make tells photoshop to stretch on light areas and compress on darker areas. You can experiment with different levels of contrast and different levels of scale to achieve the look you want.
So now you should have the top layer displaced, the second layer turned off, and the third layer turned on (On & Off being visible and not visible)
Last step is to set the blend mode of the top layer (you can try Multiple or Overlay). Then set the opacity of the top layer to suit your tastes. I decided to use the high contrast image instead of the normal image of my father to give is a high contrast conclusion (like a soccer / football fan - a light side and a dark side, depending on who is winning and the volume of good cheer)

You could pick any images you want. Put a Pepsi label or a bar code on an apple, imagine the face of a tiger taken at the zoo placed on an arm as a tattoo.
The above is not intended to be a step by step, just the basic idea of the tool and how it works. Cutting out images, levels, and other Photoshop skills will be needed.

Hope you try the tool and enjoy it as much as I have.

Spyglass
10-26-2009, 11:46 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Worked brilliantly here.
Thanks for the tips on using the tool.
Well done.
10-27-2009, 02:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This one has definately got to go on a huge billboard in the middle of London somewhere.