Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Sunset at the lake (C&C please)
Posted By: Tuner571, 10-26-2009, 04:15 AM

Hey Everyone,

Last night I went to take some pictures at the lake only to find that my favorite beach was underwater. As the sun set further it really turned into a amazing sunset that I was not going to pass up. So I had my friend sit at the end of the boatramp and started shooting.

Hope you enjoy it,
Cory

K20D
.5sec
f/16
SMC-A 35-105mm f/3.5 at 35mm

Views: 1,717
10-26-2009, 07:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the exposure level and how the colors came out! Not knowing what options you had for moving around, here's a couple composition thoughts:

1. What's the subject?...the sunset, the sky, the person on the end of the dock, the water reflections? I ask because my eye keeps switching around the photo, but none are featured.

Here's how I would have changed it...

I would have moved my location to the left (if possible) as the two posts sticking up are a real distraction (the right one cutting right thru the sunset), and I don't imagine cutting them down was an option. ;o)

Though I like the water reflections, the clouds really stand out to me... so I would have shifted the horizon much lower in the shot to pick up more of them if possible. May have also tried horizontal orientation if there were enough clouds to make it worthwhile.

If no movement off to the side was possible, I would have gone down to the end of the dock, and put the tripod really low, and framed the shot so that the posts were just off camera to be able to get a little of the dock in the very bottom of the frame.
10-26-2009, 07:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I share jheu02's sentiment that there's alot to look at, but this is a great capture nonetheless.