Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Monument Valley
Posted By: skinja, 10-26-2009, 08:11 PM

It's been a really busy fall, but I found a little time to go threw some more of my shots from pre workshop with Grant, Anne and Ronda. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Thanks for looking.

John

Last edited by skinja; 10-27-2009 at 06:49 AM.
Views: 3,449
10-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like everything about this image, bar one thing... the slightly too-dark area in the foreground.
Nice dramatic sky with well-lit rocks in the centre, and bold colours.
10-26-2009, 08:53 PM   #3

I like it alot.
10-26-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Ash, I really struggle with the inconsistency between lightroom and flickr, I develop the shot for my printer and outside printers, I see the same thing as you, looks good in LR and to dark in my post. It only seems to be on photos that I post that have that high contrast.

Here is a rev made on picnick from flickr. I still don't like it as well as the original in LR.

I would like to develop only once, but occasionally it's worth it.

10-26-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesc Quote
I like it alot.
Thanks James. CC always welcome.
10-26-2009, 09:03 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It really is a good capture.

Pity the inconsistencies between what you get on your screen and what we get through Flickr dull out the details, but a cross between the two - with the sky, monument and immediate foreground in #1 and the mid-foreground in #2 - would work just swell.
10-26-2009, 09:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
It really is a good capture.

Pity the inconsistencies between what you get on your screen and what we get through Flickr dull out the details, but a cross between the two - with the sky, monument and immediate foreground in #1 and the mid-foreground in #2 - would work just swell.
Exactly, and thats what I get sitting here, on the screen and on my prints. oh well nothings perfect. So all you can do is manage the things you can and to hell with the rest

I appreciate your help.

John

10-26-2009, 09:34 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi John,
Getting that balance between what you saw, how it looks on the screen and how it posts &/or prints is a little like a dog chasing its tail.
I have given up on printing for now....just tooooo frustrating!! When we get into the new place and get our 'studio' set up I'll get back into it with a vengeance and get it right.

Like the shot, of course, and regret not having spent more time there.
Oh well (sigh).....looks like we'll just have to go back. What with our son heading over there to work and now our daughter tells us she is headed for the ski season in Utah somewhere as a patroller....we wont have an excuse not to....
......other than $$$$$$.
Cheers mate.
10-26-2009, 09:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Hi John,
Getting that balance between what you saw, how it looks on the screen and how it posts &/or prints is a little like a dog chasing its tail.
I have given up on printing for now....just tooooo frustrating!! When we get into the new place and get our 'studio' set up I'll get back into it with a vengeance and get it right.

Like the shot, of course, and regret not having spent more time there.
Oh well (sigh).....looks like we'll just have to go back. What with our son heading over there to work and now our daughter tells us she is headed for the ski season in Utah somewhere as a patroller....we wont have an excuse not to....
......other than $$$$$$.
Cheers mate.
WOO HOO !!!!! Only about a nine hour drive from Denver to Monument valley and some incredible territory in between. could take us weeks to get there........ Damn money. I need to win the Lotto.
10-27-2009, 06:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Superb light.
10-27-2009, 06:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Superb light.
Thanks Stefan.
10-27-2009, 07:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very nice - I can tell that your true version must be excellent, given the two versions posted here. Have you confirmed that you're uploading sRGB versions to flickr? If the stuff going to flickr is based on a different color space, that'll mess up the look for sure.
10-27-2009, 08:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Very nice - I can tell that your true version must be excellent, given the two versions posted here. Have you confirmed that you're uploading sRGB versions to flickr? If the stuff going to flickr is based on a different color space, that'll mess up the look for sure.
Thanks Josh. I will take a look when I get home tonight, I'm pretty sure it is, most of the time it's only a problem when I have a sizeable amount of dark with just small amounts of high light.
10-27-2009, 09:13 AM   #14

WOW nice capture. the closest i've been here is on PS3 Motorstorm
10-27-2009, 09:13 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A remarkable photo, you can see into the scene forever, great great shot. I have the same problems, also, exporting photos out of LR2 and then posting them. My monitors are calibrated but still... It's not the colors so much as what you're experiencing here. Probably because we're taking a 10 or 14meg picture and converting it to 250K, I imagine.